Electrician Talk banner

Gas line bonding, BC

CEC 
4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  vhk 
Paragraphs are sometimes difficult to identify. Like is this part of the livestock stuff? But then computer floor...). Second last paragraph:
Bonding in livestock areas is super important because so much stuff is stainless steel and is touching skin. Having even a tiny bit of stray voltage on a milking machine will cause a cow distress, and for good reason! I can't even imagine how much that would suck. I can't wrap my head around it. Anyway, 'dairy parlours' and whatnot are bonded like gas stations - like it really matters.

Getting back to the original question, I suppose the worry is that some day down the road a section of pipe might be replaced with some kind of flex tube or pex-like creation that does wonderful things for vibration and expansion isolation, but destroys the bond continuity, so if you rely on that pipe to provide bond then maybe that bond disappears at some point in the future. On one hand that seems reasonable, but on the other hand I find myself wondering why we shouldn't let the future take care of itself. I mean, we don't have to run every residential circuit with #6 just in case some moron in the future replaces the 15A breaker with a 60A breaker, right? I guess the problem here is that we are relying on a DIFFERENT TRADE to maintain our bond.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.