Electrician Talk banner

Gas Log Control/Fan power Junction

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  nchvac 
#1 ·
On a gas log set, we can have what they refer to as a remote control station/switch. The gas log remote operates off of a thermopile generator that is rated at 750 millivolts DC voltage. I see these wired in the same box as the 120 vac fan for the fireplace insert, and sometimes there is an extra receptacle for a nearby television, etc.

I have been told that it isn't to code to have these boxes, and am trying to find code to justify.

Here is what I have so far:
First and foremost, the low voltage wire has got to be rated for at least the high voltage in the box. That is code and is found throughout and in the wiring section
This may be the problem if Thermostat type wire isn't rated high enough?

Article 725-Classes 1,2,3 Remote Control, Signaling and Power-Limited Circuits
Definitions: Class 1 Circuitry-the portion of the wiring system between the load side of the over current device or power-limited supply and the connected equipment.

725.41A-Class 1 Power limited circuits. These circuits shall be supplied from a source that has a rated output of not more than 30 volts and 1000 volt amperes.
725.48B-Class 1 circuits with Power Supply Circuits. Class1 circuits shall be permitted to be installed with power supply conductors as specified in 725.48B (1-4)

725.48B (1) In a Cable, Enclosure or Raceway. Class 1 circuits shall be permitted to occupy the same cable, enclosure, or raceway only where the equipment powered if functionally associated. (2) In factory or Field Assembled Control Centers.

So sounds like if the wire is rated high enough on the voltage side that the remote control millivolt dc and the fan control wire can be located in the same box, which usually has a cover with two switches. But what I usually see is a cover with one up/down switch, one side to side switch and a receptacle under the side to side switch. Unless this is a listed Control Center as shown in 725.48B(2), then this sound illegal. Ofcourse there could be something in the definition of a field assembled control center that would allow for this type configuration to be made up on a listed device, but I am finding no such definition.

Guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if this is indeed all of the codes that apply to

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.