Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
Why not just turn the pipe 90 degrees, replace the receptacle with a nice new one, and collect your service call money? But, you left them with a hole in the wall and a receptacle that just might stick out further than the gas pipe.

·
Estwing magic
26,749 Posts
It's behind the stove so what's a little hole in the wall?

Anyway, I would have probably used the old device box as a JB, blanked it off and fished new cable to the new location. Each to his own.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
electricmanscott said:
You'd have to be nuts to mess with that pipe. Good job with the challenge. :thumbsup:
Exactly! Who wants to mess with the gas pipe? I tell the owner about later. Meanwhile, the new exhaust is installed and check is in hand. They know about the hole in the wall too. Always do what they want, not what you want.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
what was the wall constructed out of?

why couldn't you install a cut in box?

and did you not have a standard depth 4x4 box on the truck?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I'm glad you said it first because I wondered the very same thing.

Im actually shocked the gas range would sit flush with the wall with that monstrosity back there

thank god its an old one because a new one would have never had a chance

but hey maybe they'll call him back to relocate the receptacle when they have to replace it. The gas line would have to be moved as well

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Im actually shocked the gas range would sit flush with the wall with that monstrosity back there

thank god its an old one because a new one would have never had a chance

but hey maybe they'll call him back to relocate the receptacle when they have to replace it. The gas line would have to be moved as well
Yeah, that's first class hack work. At least do the electrical part right.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
drspec said:
Im actually shocked the gas range would sit flush with the wall with that monstrosity back there thank god its an old one because a new one would have never had a chance but hey maybe they'll call him back to relocate the receptacle when they have to replace it. The gas line would have to be moved as well
Beat me to it. I was surprised it went back so flush too.. Million ways to fix this, a checks a check I suppose!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Flush mount single recep. I think I would've moved left or right instead of up, depending on stud location. And blanked off the existing box. But hey, that's just me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts