Electrician Talk banner

GAWIBE

352 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  dvcochran
Hey guys I'm new to the site but have a question regarding the wiring of Electric slide gates on grain bins.
I have done extensive grain bin site work over the last thirty five years but now am tasked with wiring these 4 motorized slide gates. Each slide is operated with a 1/2hp 480 volt motor which is in place on the slide there is a Honeywell LSYAB2B 2nc 2no DPDT micro switches mounted on each end of the slide i assume are going to be used to stop, start, and reverse the direction of the slide. The operator wants the contols in the electrical room to have lights indicating the open and closed position of the slide as well as
four position switch to select which one of the four slides being activated. Any ideas?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,786 Posts
Switches are wired into the controls to stop the gate over running the end stops. Somewhere there is a gate controller or your going to have to build one.

The more info you give us including pictures of what you have the more we can help you. You might have to go back to who ever ordered the parts as they may have ordered the gate controller and its in a separate box somewhere.

· Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,926 Posts
Gates operated by remote control? What are you going to use for safety eyes to prevent someone from being crush/held by closing gates?
To meet OSHA you could have your work cut out for you. I wonder if someone has not built one of these and is selling them?

Be cautious about this.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
I've done a couple of these. If there is not a gate control box provided they are actually fairly simple. You will need a reversing motor starter for the gate motor. Run the control power up to both limit switches and bring back the NO and NC for both. By putting the limits ahead of the start/ stop logic it keeps the pilot lights on all the time.
My drawing shows the bare bones of what you need to make it work on the power side and does not include overloads or the interlocks on the reversing starter.
ETA
I would actually put an on/off switch in ahead of the limit switches so that you can turn them off if wanted. That way the lights are not on all the time if not needed.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

· Registered
Industrial Control & Automation
46 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to the site but have a question regarding the wiring of Electric slide gates on grain bins.
I have done extensive grain bin site work over the last thirty five years but now am tasked with wiring these 4 motorized slide gates. Each slide is operated with a 1/2hp 480 volt motor which is in place on the slide there is a Honeywell LSYAB2B 2nc 2no DPDT micro switches mounted on each end of the slide i assume are going to be used to stop, start, and reverse the direction of the slide. The operator wants the contols in the electrical room to have lights indicating the open and closed position of the slide as well as
four position switch to select which one of the four slides being activated. Any ideas?
Surely there is a control diagram or circuit diagram. Can you provide the manufacturer and model number? Usually you can pull some of this info online. Will be glad to help but need more info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts