Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the egc get bonded to the neutral in a disconnect? And does the GEC land on a separate grounding lug?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. So I hit the meter box, hit the 200 amp disco, and then ran SER to the panel. I know the grounding has to be done at the first disconnect. There is a lug bonded to the neutral lugs inside of the 200 amp disconnect, but it only accepts up to 1/0. There is another 2 hole lug bonded to the frame of the disconnect that accepts up to 2/0. So, the egc from the SER cable goes to the lug bonded to the disconnect, the GEC goes to the lug bonded to the neutrals, and the ground rods get connected to the same lug the egc gets connected to. Is that correct?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Yes. So I hit the meter box, hit the 200 amp disco, and then ran SER to the panel. I know the grounding has to be done at the first disconnect. There is a lug bonded to the neutral lugs inside of the 200 amp disconnect, but it only accepts up to 1/0. There is another 2 hole lug bonded to the frame of the disconnect that accepts up to 2/0. So, the egc from the SER cable goes to the lug bonded to the disconnect, the GEC goes to the lug bonded to the neutrals, and the ground rods get connected to the same lug the egc gets connected to. Is that correct?
Sounds correct to me.

Pete

·
Registered
385 Posts
Need a bit of clarification. You state the GEC goes to the lug bonded to the neutrals which is correct but then you say the ground rods get connected to the same lug the egc gets connected to which is incorrect. The ground rods are grounding electrodes and they must connect to the same point as your other electrodes at the neutral to ground bonding point. You cannot use the enclosure as a GEC.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Need a bit of clarification. You state the GEC goes to the lug bonded to the neutrals which is correct but then you say the ground rods get connected to the same lug the egc gets connected to which is incorrect. The ground rods are grounding electrodes and they must connect to the same point as your other electrodes at the neutral to ground bonding point. You cannot use the enclosure as a GEC.

Assuming that the main grounding electrode is a water line:

250.53(D)(2) Supplemental Electrode Required. A metal under-
ground water pipe shall be supplemented by an additional
electrode of a type specified in 250.52(A)(2) through
(A)(8). If the supplemental electrode is of the rod, pipe, or
plate type, it shall comply with 250.53(A). The supplemen-
tal electrode shall be bonded to one of the following:

(1) Grounding electrode conductor
(2) Grounded service-entrance conductor
(3) Nonflexible grounded service raceway
(4) Any grounded service enclosure
(5) As provided by 250.32(B)
Exception: The supplemental electrode shall be permitted
to be bonded to the interior metal water piping at any
convenient point as specified in 250.68(C)(1), Exception.

Pete

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Assuming that the main grounding electrode is a water line:

250.53(D)(2) Supplemental Electrode Required. A metal under-
ground water pipe shall be supplemented by an additional
electrode of a type specified in 250.52(A)(2) through
(A)(8). If the supplemental electrode is of the rod, pipe, or
plate type, it shall comply with 250.53(A). The supplemen-
tal electrode shall be bonded to one of the following:
(1) Grounding electrode conductor
(2) Grounded service-entrance conductor
(3) Nonflexible grounded service raceway
(4) Any grounded service enclosure
(5) As provided by 250.32(B)
Exception: The supplemental electrode shall be permitted
to be bonded to the interior metal water piping at any
convenient point as specified in 250.68(C)(1), Exception.

Pete
The main grounding electrode is the water line. Does that mean the supplemental ground must be bonded to the GEC and not the enclosure?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
The main grounding electrode is the water line. Does that mean the supplemental ground must be bonded to the GEC and not the enclosure?
You are permitted to use the grounded service enclosure (a lug mounted to the can).

Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts