Owner
4,239 Posts
Where's the edit feature.
Stupid auto correct messed up underslab

·
Registered
Working With the Tools
544 Posts
Had a job where there were no building, electrical or plumbing/mechanical permits.
We went in to add some data (with permit) and when the owner went for his occupancy permit and the **** hit the fan.
They had to open the walls to show the framing and new wiring. Made them scope the underslab drainage.
There is an old Southern/hillbilly saying for that..... "That will learn'em!"

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,104
Man oh man... @MechanicalDVR should be proud... this thread will forever hold the record... 12,101 posts - 606 pages!
I had hundreds of pics of the "what in the southern fried hell is this" on my cellphone when I started this.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,480 Posts
I would have had tons of them too but never knew that this forum existed.:(
This section is great...
A person could learn to be an electrician if they don't do the things posted here.. :cool:
I just don't know why @MechanicalDVR has been going behind me taking all these pictures of my work. o_O

·
Registered
Working With the Tools
544 Posts

I wish I took a photo of the outside of this one. If you need a flood light and switch outside make sure you tie a knot around a stick so it doesn’t pull out while you’re working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mama! How old is that building/house?

·
Premium Member
Pres., GPS Timers
6,166 Posts
Reminds me of a story.

A now late friend of mine was a retired New York State Trooper. We were very good friends & neighbors. One day (while still a trooper) he gets a call for a welfare check on an elder. He goes to the house and everything seems normal. He calls the daughter back and says I went to your mom's home, everything seemed normal, she's not there. In the spring he gets another call from the daughter "I think I found mom." There was a stain on the ceiling similar to that photo above. It was grandma thawing out and oozing through the ceiling. Seems grandma liked to go up in the attic and read a book. She'd lean against the far side of the warm brick chimney while reading her book. Looking from the entry to the attic, you'd never know she was there. She had died there one day reading a book. It was winter and she froze that night. In the spring she thawed out.

I'll never look at another stained ceiling the same way again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It’s a really old church but the guy said that wire was installed about 7 years ago by an old man.

Of course that extension cord went to a piece of romex that he just stripped the insulation off of and wrapped the wire around it. The romex went to a junction box only 6’ past where he spliced it.

·
Registered
Working With the Tools
544 Posts
It’s a really old church but the guy said that wire was installed about 7 years ago by an old man.

Of course that extension cord went to a piece of romex that he just stripped the insulation off of and wrapped the wire around it. The romex went to a junction box only 6’ past where he spliced it.
I wish I had taken some pictures of the wiring in old Baptist church that my team worked on forever trying to get them up to code. It was absolutely the worse rats nest of wiring I have ever encountered. I could only imagine how many non-electrician church members (With good intentions) had cobbled it all together. The city lowered the boom on them following a fire caused by a faulty job of hooking up a heat pump air handler unit in the attic.

·
Registered
Working With the Tools
544 Posts
Reminds me of a story.

A now late friend of mine was a retired New York State Trooper. We were very good friends & neighbors. One day (while still a trooper) he gets a call for a welfare check on an elder. He goes to the house and everything seems normal. He calls the daughter back and says I went to your mom's home, everything seemed normal, she's not there. In the spring he gets another call from the daughter "I think I found mom." There was a stain on the ceiling similar to that photo above. It was grandma thawing out and oozing through the ceiling. Seems grandma liked to go up in the attic and read a book. She'd lean against the far side of the warm brick chimney while reading her book. Looking from the entry to the attic, you'd never know she was there. She had died there one day reading a book. It was winter and she froze that night. In the spring she thawed out.

I'll never look at another stained ceiling the same way again.
Whew!!! Makes me leery now about climbing into any more attics of really old buildings. :eek:

I did encounter a dead dog once in a crawl space.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,389 Posts
Proper lugs are way over-rated.

Reactions: micromind

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,239 Posts
Whew!!! Makes me leery now about climbing into any more attics of really old buildings. :eek:

I did encounter a dead dog once in a crawl space.
As long as the shiny objects don't blink, its safe to go there lol

12101 - 12120 of 12130 Posts