Electrician Talk banner

12121 - 12130 of 12130 Posts

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,473 Posts
done under a home owners permit by an unlicensed contractor.

Tim.
I'm on a job where the contractor was going to run a conduit or wire for me in the wall they were building. I told them no, If you do that then you can explain to the customer why I'm not returning.

A few days later I'm talking with the contractor and he tells me that "there are ways for him to do electrical work under a homeowner permit"... this is coming from a guy that doesn't know what kind of drywall screws to use with the steel studs he's never worked with before...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm on a job where the contractor was going to run a conduit or wire for me in the wall they were building. I told them no, If you do that then you can explain to the customer why I'm not returning.

A few days later I'm talking with the contractor and he tells me that "there are ways for him to do electrical work under a homeowner permit"... this is coming from a guy that doesn't know what kind of drywall screws to use with the steel studs he's never worked with before...
That's when I say "sounds good, I'll go cancel my permit and you can have at it".

·
Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,473 Posts
That's when I say "sounds good, I'll go cancel my permit and you can have at it".
I'd love to see him get a homeowner permit on the commercial job haha

I thought about saying that... I really did, but the pay is too good from the client to turn down.

I'm their on-call guy for everything now. Not many electricians in this city that can go from wiring an office to wiring network gear to fixing the phone paging system to wiring new phone jacks for the VOIP system.

·
Registered
Electrician
934 Posts
This is too good!

Its painfull to watch him use wire strippers, and then see the 1/2" of bare wires sticking out on each wire nut he then taped up.

Reactions: Max C.

·
Registered
Electrician
934 Posts
Went to help a friend out at his house and found this. Check the neutral for the 100 amp subpanel and the 70 amp breaker (missing handle tie, with 6awg wire) for another sub panel. The two 15 am SP on the bottom were also supplying a MWBC. Also some doubled up breakers, even though one is empty and an extra space

The wire tracer helped me find why the sconces wouldn't work.

Reactions: micromind

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Went to help a friend out at his house and found this. Check the neutral for the 100 amp subpanel and the 70 amp breaker (missing handle tie, with 6awg wire) for another sub panel. The two 15 am SP on the bottom were also supplying a MWBC. Also some doubled up breakers, even though one is empty and an extra space

The wire tracer helped me find why the sconces wouldn't work.
View attachment 151576
View attachment 151577
How about half the neutral wire not terminated on the left?

12121 - 12130 of 12130 Posts