Electrician Talk banner

12241 - 12260 of 12275 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,353 Posts
This made me laugh:

Funny as all hell. Watched the first 7 minutes. At first I'd cringe as he'd get his fingers in that panel but then realized he did survive to upload it so then I laughed the rest of the way. Incredible he's not dead (or is he?).
Can't believe those test leads held up.
Interesting science experimentation for sure.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
ElectroBOOM is hilarious but I still flint watching him.

Tim

·
electrorick
280 Posts
Did anyone else watch it and call his the code violations like lack of cable clamp at the breaker panel, unused knockout not covered on the 4 square, box fill at the handy box? Or am I just being too picky? :LOL:
I noticed the open holes, why did he break one open when were already open holes .
without moe & larry he is the lone stooges

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,434 Posts
View attachment 153058
saw this in a house last week. 500W heater that apparently is only 2 months old. I think it's been running 24/7 since it was installed. Heating kitchen and living room because the living room heater was turned off...

Worse design ever!!!!
The genius who came up with this, is no longer working for the manufacturer.
The heat coming out of the top will melt PVC window trims.
Its so bad, apparently Manitoba Housing will not accept these on their projects.

The manufacturer's solution to the problem of scorching the wall, was to supply a pair of standoffs, about 1/2 inch thick.

My solution, never buy them

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
91 Posts
Thanks @wcord for commenting, that's good to know about manitoba housing not accepting them, o hope I can remember that. I have put a few of this style in, if only because it's all that is locally available at the home hardware in town.

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,353 Posts
It may be wise to print and show the above to the hardware store. See if they can cross reference to something that will have better performance.

Is that really a 500 Watt heater, or is it 5k W?
I don't see what 500 watts is going to do for a cold room in Canada.
My coffee pot is 1500 watts as is a blow dryer.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
91 Posts
It may be wise to print and show the above to the hardware store. See if they can cross reference to something that will have better performance.

Oh definitely a 500W. It's a 900 square foot house, 100A service, all electric heat. The whole house is only 5kW of baseboard heat... I was a little surprised at how little heat there was.
You can just see in the picture on the right side, that there is no baseboard coming up to the heater, looks like it used to be a 1000W heater and got replaced with a 500W. House is on a reserve, I went up to look at 3 houses last week. I have 10 baseboard heaters to change out, I'll order them out of the city from the supply house.

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,951 Posts

Definitely 500 watts. Here's a cheat sheet for ya. Can't find a good image or the actual cheat sheet so here's a screenshot of the one on a heater box.

ETA: we know the box the receptacle is mounted in is 2" wide. Cover plate will be slightly larger, so we can figure out the length of the heater using that receptacle... but we already know its a 500 watt heater.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,434 Posts
Thanks @wcord for commenting, that's good to know about manitoba housing not accepting them, o hope I can remember that. I have put a few of this style in, if only because it's all that is locally available at the home hardware in town.
Check to see what product line CO-OP handles
Rona in Gimli also handles Stelpro

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,283 Posts
Sounds like a three dog night for the residents.

12241 - 12260 of 12275 Posts