Electrician Talk banner

12541 - 12560 of 12602 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,835 Posts
I remember physics class where the answer was hop on one foot away from the car with the downed power line on it.
We had to calculate the safe distance from the car.
Those guys were standing 10' from a smoking fence and seemed to think nothing of it.
Geez.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
New Appartment complex I went to yesterday. I posted some pics from a different electrical room from this same place a while ago. Complex is still under construction but somehow has a temporary certificate of occupancy. What a mess. Make sure to notice all the duct tape on fittings, cracked PVC, electrical tape repair of FMC, cracked FMC, etc. My understanding is some of this was inspected virtually due to covid.
What a disaster. How could this be real?
It looks like the same guy that did the drywall work.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,564 Posts
What a disaster. How could this be real?
It looks like the same guy that did the drywall work.
I have no idea how this could happen. I'm thinking the original GC had his own guys do the work??? I just can't imagine non electricians doing this large of a job along with the big switchgear.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have no idea how this could happen. I'm thinking the original GC had his own guys do the work??? I just can't imagine non electricians doing this large of a job along with the big switchgear.
Maybe the GC laid out w the PVC runs and his Son in law was hired to run the flex and mud and tape the drywall. Could you imagine trying to come in behind this mess and clean it up.
Holly f%&*n cross feeders Batman.. :)

·
Premium Member
residential, commercial, and industrial
243 Posts
Here is another gem of the trade.... they used jumper cables

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Reactions: Max C.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
That's how we used to get power for tools when doing service change outs.
Lol really? We just connect a piece of 10/3 stranded to a hubble power distribution bank

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
This happened at the airport a couple of years ago but I just came across the picture again. Bad, bad CT. It was either on the 13.2Kv or the 25Kv?

View attachment 155085

Tim.
Looks like 13.2kV, those stand-off insulators look too small to be rated for 25kV, but damn, i though at a glance all them copper windings were someone's hair and s alp 😮

Reactions: micromind

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,966 Posts
Not so sure I'd want to be standing that close to that fence......
When I was a kid in the city we stood around a down wire one time as it danced around and burnt the concrete. Like dumb kids we were trying to push each other at it.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,771 Posts
View attachment 154957 Here is another gem of the trade.... they used jumper cables
Many years ago, on a Saturday night, one of the trailer courts blew the 400 amp fuses on one of the site service drops .
Total load was pretty close to 600 amps.
Not saying who, but new fuses and a set of 4/0 booster cables , paralleling the fuses kept everything going till Monday 🙄

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
When I was a kid in the city we stood around a down wire one time as it danced around and burnt the concrete. Like dumb kids we were trying to push each other at it.
Idk why but I laughed at this harder than I should've

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
That's because that what we did as kids. Now they can't be unattended in their own backyards.

Tim.
Did anyone actually touch the downed line or get close enough to it??

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Why did they remove the other neutral bar????
To me it looks like the removed it and mounted it as the ground buss on the right side, and added a listed lug on the ground buss, ive seen this alot, ground busses are cheap, just save you the trouble and get a separate one, its good to have neutral busses on each side for future upgrades and rewires

Reactions: Service Call
12541 - 12560 of 12602 Posts