Electrician Talk banner

12581 - 12600 of 12602 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wish I took a photo but yesterday we were finishing up a kitchen reno and the homeowner mentioned one of the other contractors, "that knows electrical" hung their kitchen light fixture. The contractor got shocked by it and couldn't figure out why. I turned off the circuit, took the fixture down to look in the box and saw black fixture wire connected to red wire(that made sense, switch leg), white and green fixture wire connected to the neutral(...)and a pigtail from the bond screw connected to the neutral. Just a perfect loop.

·
neutral member
ELECTRICIAN!!!
1,859 Posts
house is hollow block, to add ckts they ran pvc conduit on exterior and pulled romex, cut hub off so lb would sit flat on wall

·
Registered
777 Posts
Holy cow Mech! This thread is freaking huge. I haven’t really looked in in the last few years since you started it, I can’t believe how popular it is. Thanks for starting it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Max C.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,367 Posts
Recfently installed.

Part of my job today: remove obsolete teck cable back to panel. Telco environment, old cable at the bottom of the tray. This may have actually been the first cable installed in the building 40 years ago. Had to fight my way through about a foot of telco wire to get the cable worked back to this recently upgraded panel. So I was already cranky by time I opened the panel.

Some doofus from eastern Canada thought it would be cute to bundle the neutrals with white tape full length of the panel. If that person is a member here and has the balls to fess up, I have a few words to say.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If that person is a member here and has the balls to fess up, I have a few words to say.
I say we tape THEM up so they remember not to ever do that stupid crap again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: joe-nwt

·
Registered
522 Posts
This was disovered after some walls were opened up during a reno on a 1969 home. I'm not even sure what to make of this. The best part - that staple is original, so whoever did this managed to fish through it!

Inside the box this guy tied into. Mastery right here folks, as indicated by the ground "splice" and neutral wrapped in the wrong direction:

Same house. You can tell this install has the plumber's touch :D

On a landscape lighting job, I spotted this fine PVC work and immideatly though it deserved to go here. No straps, burial depth was whatever and yes, that 3/4" run is tight against the gas meter!

Other garbage this guy left behind include dimmer-controlled, non-GFCI protected pool-side receptacles and crooked boullard lights....

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,808 Posts
This was disovered after some walls were opened up during a reno on a 1969 home. I'm not even sure what to make of this. The best part - that staple is original, so whoever did this managed to fish through it!

Inside the box this guy tied into. Mastery right here folks, as indicated by the ground "splice" and neutral wrapped in the wrong direction:

Same house. You can tell this install has the plumber's touch :D

On a landscape lighting job, I spotted this fine PVC work and immideatly though it deserved to go here. No straps, burial depth was whatever and yes, that 3/4" run is tight against the gas meter!

Other garbage lthis guy keft behine include dimmer-controlled, non-GFCI protected pool-side receptacles and crooked boullard lights....
At least the PVC was made in Canada.........

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12,600 ·
So I go to replace a ceiling fixture with a fan in the master bedroom and find a mile of tape, buchanan crimps that pull right off, undersized screws wrapped with tape to fit the larger holes......just a mess left by the "electrical engineer" former owner..

pfu1.jpg
pfu2.jpg
pfu3.jpg

12581 - 12600 of 12602 Posts