Electrician Talk banner

12601 - 12620 of 12664 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
1,633 Posts
Found this in a control cabinet yesterday This was the bypass contactor for a 50hp drive, the load side is going to two 25 hp pumps. VFD is faulty and contactor failed so they wedged two self tapping screws in the contactor to keep everything running for the last 1.5 years.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,948 Posts
Found this in a control cabinet yesterday This was the bypass contactor for a 50hp drive, the load side is going to two 25 hp pumps. VFD is faulty and contactor failed so they wedged two self tapping screws in the contactor to keep everything running for the last 1.5 years. View attachment 156007
At least they taped the wire nuts.....the mark of a true professional!

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,486 Posts
Found this in a control cabinet yesterday This was the bypass contactor for a 50hp drive, the load side is going to two 25 hp pumps. VFD is faulty and contactor failed so they wedged two self tapping screws in the contactor to keep everything running for the last 1.5 years. View attachment 156007
That's the awesomest thing I've seen in a while!

Reactions: MotoGP1199

·
Registered
Electrician
228 Posts
Here’s my find of the day.... the homeowner has me looking at some minor things and then asks me to look at the meter enclosure, there is a 3/4” gap between it and the house with no screws. Only thing holding it up is the ONE strap on the mast 10 feet up and the SEU poking out of the back. I open it up to look inside, very surprised there’s no lock on it, then I find someone’s attempt of a neutral-ground bond. Then I check inside and there is no GEC going to the panel and no bonding of the water and gas lines.

I asked several times and the guy kept avoiding the question but finally admits there was a 100 amp service when he moved in, one of his buddies from work offered to give him an upgrade with no permits.

EC5EACD1-A0C8-4742-8166-46802166EEE5.jpeg

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,486 Posts
the homeowner has me looking at some minor things and then asks me to look at the meter enclosure, there is a 3/4” gap between it and the house with no screws.
I've seen that a few times over the years. Homeowner or the siding guys are to blame.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Electrons have no idea what color wire they are travelling in.
True, but they stripped waaaay too much insulation off of the wires. ;)

·
Registered
C-10 Electrical Contractor
43 Posts
I've seen that a few times over the years. Homeowner or the siding guys are to blame.
Now that's the truth.
I have an extensive database of all customers going back to 1992. Most if not all poor quality work is directly related to the customer seeking the cheapest.
Ironically the cheap guy's always seem to be a nice guy. I'm usually the bad guy for refusing to do unpermitted work. SMH

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,948 Posts
I like the fire extinguisher feeding the panel from the bottom. Wouldn't it be better to enter it from the top with a gravity assist?
No no no, silly......when it aims down, it just squirts a stream downward, when it aims up, gravity will disperse the stream so it rains down all over everything.

I thought everyone knew that.........lol.

12601 - 12620 of 12664 Posts