Electrician Talk banner

12621 - 12640 of 12664 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
View attachment 156194
Home owner splice, didn't even wrap it with tape
Home owner probably google searched electrical splices and found western union splices. Then google gave this site for more reading where the home owner read all the negative comments about taping devices and wire nuts. ;)

·
neutral member
ELECTRICIAN!!!
1,875 Posts
sometimes seems like a lot of trouble to go thru just to do something wrong

that's a GFCI receptacle

There is a bare ground in the line cable, not hooked to anything at receptacle

The load runs to a switch for room light

Receptacle has pressure plates but wires looped around screws (poorly)
bootleg gfci.jpg

·
Registered
Electrician
1,633 Posts
sometimes seems like a lot of trouble to go thru just to do something wrong

that's a GFCI receptacle

There is a bare ground in the line cable, not hooked to anything at receptacle

The load runs to a switch for room light

Receptacle has pressure plates but wires looped around screws (poorly)
View attachment 156201
That is someone who wants to do a good job but has no clue WTF they are doing.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,633 Posts
Got a call to troubleshoot an activator not working. I reached in a panel to test voltage on a digital input card and got zapped on my forearm. I looked down and didn't see anything. After checking a few things I found 96 volts AC on the shielding of this 18/4 low voltage cable. I follow the conduit and they have the cable pulled in the same conduit as the 120v supplying the power for the cabinet. The low voltage cable in this panel is not even being used or connected to anything.

I then go in the mechanical room and open up the control panel for the equipment room and find this. They have the 18/4 low voltage cable connected to 120v interlock circuits (some jumpered) at the control cabinet that is powered by 20 amp breaker. All of the grey low voltage cable is run throughout the room with 120 volts AC. I'm assuming someone ran all low voltage cable and then realized the interlocks were 120vac and just connected it anyway. The transformers in the bottom do not connect to these low voltage cables. The shielding is not connected on either side but all the shielding for all the low voltage cables have anywhere from 55 vac to 96 volts ac:(. Needless to say I have a HUGE e-mail going out to everyone tonight. There is so much wrong at this site I can't list it all.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,486 Posts
If you look at the cable itself you will notice it's likely rated for 300V and maybe even 600V. It's just not installed correctly.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,134 Posts
Found this in a control cabinet yesterday This was the bypass contactor for a 50hp drive, the load side is going to two 25 hp pumps. VFD is faulty and contactor failed so they wedged two self tapping screws in the contactor to keep everything running for the last 1.5 years. View attachment 156007
Looks like an L3 issue also, wire marker is brown.

Reactions: MotoGP1199

·
Registered
Electrician
1,633 Posts
If you look at the cable itself you will notice it's likely rated for 300V and maybe even 600V. It's just not installed correctly.
Exactly. It is 300v rated wire. It's run in conduits with 120v circuits as well as 480v circuits at some points. Other parts of the room it's not in conduit and zip tied to plumbing, strut, etc. It's 7 amp wire feed by a 20 amp breaker. I am going to go back and do some further investigation and see where the shielding is getting energized from. On one of the controllers the interlock circuit states the contacts/board is only good for 0-30v. I haven't even opened up all the j-boxes or equipment it runs to.

This picture is directly below my 1st picture above where I 1st got zapped from. The guy covered the section of the cable with split loom. This might speak to his work experience.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,633 Posts
This is what happens when someone hooks up a motor to 208 volts and wires it for 460 volts with the overload relay set too high even for the 208 volt connection.

Replaced this motor today. Apparently it was installed about 2 months ago and was running for about 1.5 months before it stopped working.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,948 Posts
At least we know why they kept setting the O/L higher..........

I've seen a lot of these........when the O/L trips, just turn it up a bit. If it trips again, turn it up some more..........

There's a lot to be said for the heater type O/Ls.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,339 Posts
At least we know why they kept setting the O/L higher..........

I've seen a lot of these........when the O/L trips, just turn it up a bit. If it trips again, turn it up some more..........

There's a lot to be said for the heater type O/Ls.
If you have devicenet overload/controls it gets more interesting when they turn the dial thinking its a overload setting when they are really changing the address

12621 - 12640 of 12664 Posts