12641 - 12660 of 12664 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,948 Posts
If you have devicenet overload/controls it gets more interesting when they turn the dial thinking its a overload setting when they are really changing the address
Seen that happen a few times too............

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't have anywhere else to post this, I was installing a new light fixture in a renovated apartment bathroom. No toilet, but the tub worked so I turned on the water and matched the flow. Not one of my finest moments but when you've been drinking water all morning in a humid and hot basement apartment when you have to go then you have to go. I used hot water so it would sanitize so at least give me some consideration before you judge.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,109 Posts
I don't have anywhere else to post this, I was installing a new light fixture in a renovated apartment bathroom. No toilet, but the tub worked so I turned on the water and matched the flow. Not one of my finest moments but when you've been drinking water all morning in a humid and hot basement apartment when you have to go then you have to go. I used hot water so it would sanitize so at least give me some consideration before you judge.

How long have you been an electrician? Have you not seen a Mexican urinal? Usually an empty milk jug with 2" of water in it. Keep one in your truck at all times!

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,109 Posts
I found this one today... ho says it happened about a month ago. I could smell it as soon as she opened the basement door. Box was 8 inches, two steel stud screws through the side "attaching" it to the stud.
I have seen plenty of those... usually caused by one or two portable heaters being plugged into a 15a circuit that already had 10+ amps loaded on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'll keep that in mind but it'll be hard to find a milk jug in snow Mexico, we have bags of milk. That would get messy quickly.

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,109 Posts
I'll keep that in mind but it'll be hard to find a milk jug in snow Mexico, we have bags of milk. That would get messy quickly.

Bags of milk... you have to be kidding!

Do you have a cat? Cat litter jugs work great too. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts

You guys need to get yourselves some of these...

4.02US $ 17% OFF|4Pcs/Pack 700ml Emergency portable car Leak proof Urine bags vomit bags mobile toilets Disposable handy unisex outdoors Mini WC|Urine Bags| - AliExpress

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,156 Posts
An elderly lady asked me to look at this. Wanted to know if it was unsafe, lol.
View attachment 156402
With a little work that could be automated. When the door goes up, a tab swipes the switch up and turns the lights on, door down, swipes it down and lights off. Someone just didn’t finish the job, lol.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

This is a home right on the beach in La Jolla California. Although it looks like a shack I estimate its value at about $4.5M. My guess is that the service was originally fed from overhead. As you can see in the photo it’s now supplied by a 3” service lateral.

They must have relocated the service for some reason and used the existing mast to feed to the new location. If you look closely you can see that they bonded the 2 raceways with some #4 and 2 ground clamps. I think it was probably permitted and inspected years ago but it just seems like a lazy man’s way of doing it.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,487 Posts
Nope. Sheath knife. Those suckers are sharp.
Still think it's a knife?

All I'm doing is slitting the heatshrink to recover the copper.

Reactions: Easy

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Still think it's a knife?

View attachment 156608

All I'm doing is slitting the heatshrink to recover the copper.
Joe-nwt ... Why are you going all CSI on this project? Are you preforming forensics? Have you found the suspect yet?
The conductors are totally messed up and for sure lost their ampacity rating. Definitely not Journeyman quality work.
What are they being used for? You may have explained that in your firs post but if I back track I'll probably get lost.
Thanks Joe ..

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,487 Posts
Joe-nwt ... Why are you going all CSI on this project? Are you preforming forensics? Have you found the suspect yet?
The conductors are totally messed up and for sure lost their ampacity rating. Definitely not Journeyman quality work.
What are they being used for? You may have explained that in your firs post but if I back track I'll probably get lost.
Thanks Joe ..
I'm salvaging copper in my spare time. :) I have 3/4 of a 5 gallon pail of those splices.

They were part of a 48VDC distribution for a telco equipment demo project. They ran large conductors the length of the row of equipment fused at 60A. They tapped the large conductor with #10 where they needed. Some of the older wire was RW90 with insulation that was somewhat stuck to the copper. Whatever they used to score the insulation made beautiful concentric rings around the conductor. Always at a uniform depth.

I still say they used a pipe cutter.

Reactions: Easy

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

Obviously not an electrician or is he? I see a torpedo level in his back pocket.

Tim

12641 - 12660 of 12664 Posts