Electrician Talk banner
12661 - 12680 of 12713 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
View attachment 156623

Obviously not an electrician or is he? I see a torpedo level in his back pocket.

Tim
I resemble that remark...
I saw that posted on Imgur this weekend and a few hours later I was on a ladder wiring up my solar powered outdoor shade. When I got to that step and felt my belly touch the top of the ladder, that image flashed in my mind and I went up one more step even though I didn't really have to.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,330 Posts
Well maybe if they cross list it for in there...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
In seriousness this is a small sampling of the death electrical I’m working through at my new job. I have 5 plants now and I’m sure I will be able to retire before I ever get finished. I’m certain Ol’Sparky in the death house in Lucasville is safer than some of the things I’m working through.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If one monkey did it, you can be sure many other monkeys have also. I bet some smart entrepreneur has a monkey kabob stand right under that pole.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,589 Posts
Judge #1 9.2, Judge #2 9.1, Judge #3......

Reactions: canbug

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,197 Posts
With a little work that could be automated. When the door goes up, a tab swipes the switch up and turns the lights on, door down, swipes it down and lights off. Someone just didn’t finish the job, lol.
I hate to think how many times I have run into a mess that looked just like that! And how many times have you had a HO say, "Well... it has been that way for 30 years and we ain't had a single problem with it." :LOL:

·
Registered
135 Posts
From yesterday's job, whole house reno. The owner said that their range hood hasn't worked in a long time if ever. I checked the panel and there wasn't a breaker labeled range hood, there wasn't any power to it but all the breakers were on. Gut feeling told me to check the fridge receptacle because there wasn't any wire going up from the basement to the where the range hood was. It's hard to see but the fridge is on a split receptacle, I used my meter on the bottom half of the split and it's the wire going to the range hood.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks like some one repurposed some 3/8 copper tube for a data drop or stat maybe The best part is they had a the heart to put a box with a connector
My guess is stat. The 3/8" copper tube is probably from an old Johnson Controls pneumatic HVAC control system that was upgraded. Probably convenient to run the control wires in the old tubes to the stat locations.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
163 Posts
My guess is stat. The 3/8" copper tube is probably from an old Johnson Controls pneumatic HVAC control system that was upgraded. Probably convenient to run the control wires in the old tubes to the stat locations.
That’s exactly what happened, looked tonight went to a stat. It’s all plaster on top of clay block walls

·
Registered
528 Posts
These two have been sitting on my hard drive for a bit...both cords were in-use when I took those photos, by the way!

Now for a few recent ones...

This pole-mounted "enclosure" housed some security camera equipment:

Custom one-hole PVC straps at the gas station car wash:

The work of a client's "electrician friend."

·
Registered
Industrial Mostly, Panels and drives
109 Posts
Actually those jumper bars work great because it permits the terminals to still accept two wires per side which conserves space.

The real problem I see is that neither the wires or terminals are labeled.
that is the smallest issue in this particular cabinet lol. But look closer at the terminal jumpers, someone went to the effort to wind wire around the two jumper bars instead of either running a jumper outside of it (of which there was room) OR ordering a terminal bar and using the correct length....there's literally a 28gauge thread just wound around the screws....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
that is the smallest issue in this particular cabinet lol. But look closer at the terminal jumpers, someone went to the effort to wind wire around the two jumper bars instead of either running a jumper outside of it (of which there was room) OR ordering a terminal bar and using the correct length....there's literally a 28gauge thread just wound around the screws....
Ok, I missed that wire wrapping jewel. Thanks for pointing that out.

12661 - 12680 of 12713 Posts