Electrician Talk banner
12681 - 12700 of 12713 Posts

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,351 Posts
4160 strapped to ceiling a ft above head the. It hits transformers down to 120/208
I remember that type of vault, we had them for cast iron induction furnaces.
Very scary
Cowboy

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,351 Posts
View attachment 156801

the stuff I am finding here.....the effort taking to do this, boggles my mind over just using a wire like a normal person...
Yep and not knowing any better. I had a new machine that they stretched the wire across the face of the terminal strip to land it on the top. It was a power strip like you show with nothing landed on the bottom.

Reactions: MoscaFibra

·
Registered
Electrician
1,756 Posts
Came across this today. Not that bad but funny.

"You need to label those electricity switches". "OK no problem"

Check the top left. Old, non original circuit coming in the top. The ground is cut about 1" long and floating for the nm cable. Side note, I have never seen the yellow splice connector they used on the right before. Seen similar for automotive taps.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,589 Posts
Sure looks like an automotive tap........

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I always love it when people paint over the cover screws and and run mud around the edges. You kind of have to chip away for a bit to get the cover off.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,756 Posts
Came across this today. Not that bad but funny.

"You need to label those electricity switches". "OK no problem"

View attachment 157225

Check the top left. Old, non original circuit coming in the top. The ground is cut about 1" long and floating for the nm cable. Side note, I have never seen the yellow splice connector they used on the right before. Seen similar for automotive taps.
View attachment 157226
Sure looks like an automotive tap........
Opened it up today to swap the panel out. Sure enough it's an automotive tap were it pierces into the wire.

I always love it when people paint over the cover screws and and run mud around the edges. You kind of have to chip away for a bit to get the cover off.
Yep, never fails. I hate it.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,756 Posts
Some of the what you are calling "automotive taps" are rated for 600v so is it really that bad?
I've just never seen one before in a non-automotive setting. This one was installed on two solid wires (TW, #12) and no markings of any kind on the plastic. It dug into the copper pretty deep. It could very well be fine, especially since it doesn't show any real signs of over heating except for the fact that it dug in deep. Tap went to feed a light in one room of the apartment. Seeing as it was installed by the same guy who cut off the ground on an NM cable I call everything on his install into question unless I can verify what it is and what it is rated for.

EDIT: After reading your post I did some digging and it does look similar to the 3m 903 connector rated for 600v or. However it is only rated up to 14 awg on the run and 18 awg on the tap . This could be why the connector dug so deep into the copper. I also don't see any amperage ratings. Others I looked up for use with larger wires do not look the same, I'm curious who else makes ones that look the same as this one.

3M™ Scotchlok™ IDC Connector 903

Details
  • Yellow, polypropylene-insulated connector is suitable for tap or parallel splicing
  • Electrically connects 2 wires in a tap, inline, pigtail or double run installation
  • Accommodates 22 to 18 AWG solid/stranded (tap) and 18 to 14 AWG solid/stranded (run)
  • RoHS 2011/65/EU Compliant
3M™ Scotchlok™ Insulation Displacement Connector 903 is a double run or tap connector for tap or parallel splicing. Polypropylene insulated, self stripping and flame retardant.
3M™ Scotchlok™ Insulation Displacement Connector 903 is 600V rated for building wire and 1000V rated for signs, fixtures and luminaires. It withstands temperatures of 194 degrees F (90 degrees C). UL Listed and RoHS 2011/65/EU Compliant.

For industrial/occupational use only. Not for consumer sale or use
Edit: And here is one for #12 solid and #10 stranded wire but only at 32volts and color looks like a different color yellow/orange on their site.
3M™ Scotchlok™ IDC Connector 562
Wire Gauge (Imperial)12 AWG / 10 AWG Stranded

Details
  • Yellow, polypropylene-insulated connector is suitable for tap or parallel splicing
  • Rated for 32V applications
  • Accommodates 18 to 14 AWG solid/stranded
  • RoHS 2011/65/EU Compliant
3M™ Scotchlok™ Insulation Displacement Connector 562 is a double run or tap connector for tap or parallel splicing. Polypropylene insulated, self stripping and flame retardant.
3M™ Scotchlok™ Insulation Displacement Connector 562 is 600V rated for building wire and 1000V rated for signs, fixtures and luminaires. It withstands temperatures of 194 degrees F (90 degrees C). UL Listed and RoHS 2011/65/EU Compliant.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,728 Posts
I've just never seen one before in a non-automotive setting. This one was installed on two solid wires (TW, #12) and no markings of any kind on the plastic. It dug into the copper pretty deep. It could very well be fine, especially since it doesn't show any real signs of over heating except for the fact that it dug in deep. Tap went to feed a light in one room of the apartment. Seeing as it was installed by the same guy who cut off the ground on an NM cable I call everything on his install into question unless I can verify what it is and what it is rated for.

EDIT: After reading your post I did some digging and it does look similar to the 3m 903 connector rated for 600v or. However it is only rated up to 14 awg on the run and 18 awg on the tap . This could be why the connector dug so deep into the copper. I also don't see any amperage ratings. Others I looked up for use with larger wires do not look the same, I'm curious who else makes ones that look the same as this one.

Edit: And here is one for #12 solid and #10 stranded wire but only at 32volts and color looks like a different color yellow/orange on their site.

View attachment 157388
View attachment 157389
We used to use those on the miles of HO flourescent lighting in K-Marts.
Once the feeds were pulled,clip one of those on at each ballast, never cutting the wire.

Made it go fast,no wire nuts.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,756 Posts
A friend asked if I could take a look at a conduit going to the garage in his new house and see if it was safe. We'll it's the 60 amp feed for the garage sub panel, sprinkler wire, and internet all in one. Home inspection company didn't bring it up either.

12681 - 12700 of 12713 Posts