Electrician Talk banner
12821 - 12840 of 12863 Posts

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,725 Posts
Field wiring in the units ran by a third party contractor. Do you think he stripped them back far enough? Some of the wires that I fixed before taking these pictures had strands hanging out and touching other spots or wires on the terminal strips. Didn't think about taking pictures for here until I was almost done.
View attachment 158995
Looks like the wire gauge was a couple sizes too big also. A typical gitter dun and cash the check job, if it fits it ships.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,605 Posts
Field wiring in the units ran by a third party contractor. Do you think he stripped them back far enough? Some of the wires that I fixed before taking these pictures had strands hanging out and touching other spots or wires on the terminal strips. Didn't think about taking pictures for here until I was almost done.
View attachment 158995
Obviously this isn't the case here but when I'm landing analog in and out on terminals, I overstrip a bit. This makes it easy to clip the HART calibrator leads on.

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,799 Posts
Reactions: micromind

·
Registered
489 Posts
Looks like the wire gauge was a couple sizes too big also. A typical gitter dun and cash the check job, if it fits it ships.
Yep. I might have adjusted the gauge on some of them with my wire strippers before trimming to proper length and reinstalling. ;)

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,784 Posts
something else is happening there.
The upper left cable appears to be spliced to a neutral
Cant tell about the upper right
My thought train would be.
Service issue next door, and current on water pipes.
This houses BX wraps around water pipes somewhere.
Current is trying to get back to ground and is flowing in jacket.
Bet you could pull meter and still have current on ground/neutral.

·
Registered
License Electrician/ maintenance in manufacturing Plant
180 Posts
My thought train would be.
Service issue next door, and current on water pipes.
This houses BX wraps around water pipes somewhere.
Current is trying to get back to ground and is flowing in jacket.
Bet you could pull meter and still have current on ground/neutral.
Question
How do you check for voltage on ground/ neutral
One lead on neutral in panel and another lead to temporary rod of long screwdriver to ground away from panel and water pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
618 Posts
Question
One lead on neutral in panel and another lead to temporary rod of long screwdriver to ground away from panel and water pipe?

I suggest you check continuity from the panel to the meter. There will be no voltage to anything that is grounded properly, (if the neutral is fully connected to poco).
If that is good; check volts phase to phase for 240V (or what ever it should be) then check phase to neu if there is more than a cpl volts difference you have a bad neutral connection. that could be all the way back to the poco trnsfmr. If you dont like any readings you get, have ho call poco and tell them lites are blinking. make sure the lineman knows what he is doing/checking for.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,784 Posts
Question

Question

Yes then turn main breaker to the house off.
If you still have voltage it is a POCO issue.
The original post could also be bad neutral and a bad ground and it is trying to find its way back using the BX to a water pipe. Remember a single lost ground or neutral will not show up, it is only when both are lost. You can run for years till you lose both. Then flickering or unstable if it can find its way out.

·
Registered
871 Posts

Bx cable using jacket as neutral.
Melting locknuts.

the wires on OLD BX don't fit in a modern MC/BX connector....you have to break out the wire stop to make them fit....and you see the burn marks around the lock nut....this is the exact problem i seen many times...the connectors and ground clamps are the ground path....if the connection aren't spot on the BX metal will glow red hot. The old BX is very unsafe.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I found this antenna while travelling around an attic to find a junction box. I was getting voltage readings even when the switch was off. The box was wired wrong, to put it simply.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
How did you get into my attic?

Tim

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,799 Posts
hideous...that label is upside down.

Reactions: micromind
12821 - 12840 of 12863 Posts