Electrician Talk banner
12841 - 12860 of 12863 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,706 Posts
service call for furnace not working, this was their panel...
The wall was redone at some point, and made thicker, and now the panel cover now sits 1/2" in front of the breaker handles! o_O :unsure::oops:
Maybe they removed plaster & battons and put up 1/2" sheetrock.

·
Hackenschmidt
12,212 Posts
But what happened to cause receptacle to be put back in box with loops like that? The whites looked fine
Maybe the hots were not tightened, and when they pushed the device into the box, the loops slid forward, until the insulation jammed under the screws.

·
Registered
Electrician
453 Posts
I got a call from a guy that says his kitchen lights dim when he runs his toaster. Kitchen is only a couple of years old and he’s done with his “electrician” family member that’s been working on it because the guy doesn’t always show up.

So I went into the attic above the kitchen and wasn’t prepared for the “gems” I found…

Wood Fish Gas Bedrock Electrical wiring

Wood Organism Pink Twig Art

Wood Natural material Building material Hardwood Gas

Insect Arthropod Wood Bedrock Rock-climbing equipment

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Beam

Gas Auto part Building material Metal Electrical wiring

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,799 Posts
hunh...can't imagine the issue

Reactions: micromind

·
Pull my wire
325 Posts
“Pass-thru” and seeing red.

The whole thing is getting ripped out next month. Added some ferrules on the fine stranded cables to help keep up with the heating loads till we rewire the whole place. This is on a boat btw.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,605 Posts

The whole thing is getting ripped out next month. Added some ferrules on the fine stranded cables to help keep up with the heating loads till we rewire the whole place. This is on a boat btw.

Where's the rust? I thought everything on a boat was required to be rusted........lol.

·
Pull my wire
325 Posts
Where's the rust? I thought everything on a boat was required to be rusted........lol.
Here’s a little rust. Not much steel on boats, mostly plastic boxes. Most rust is usually found in the engine room and the chain locker. Lots of stuff is made out of bronze, brass, copper, stainless and aluminium. Engine blocks are usually cast iron instead of their automotive aluminium counterpart, as it doesn’t react with saltwater as much as steel or aluminium. All saltwater cooling and heat exchanger are made from copper, plastic, bronze and rubber. Also different areas have different salinity and humidity, making a big difference in how must corrosion the boat will experience.

And I swear, I couldn’t make this up even if I tried. They had a female 30a 120v twist lock plug on a 1ft 10/3 cabtire going to a male 20a twist lock with a 20ft cabtire to a male 15a plug. This is how they did the 30a to 15a conversion (to plug your 30a shore power cord into a 15a receptacle on shoreside). They used a spray paint can cap to cover it up and wrapped it in black tape.

·
Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
493 Posts
Here’s a little rust. Not much steel on boats, mostly plastic boxes. Most rust is usually found in the engine room and the chain locker. Lots of stuff is made out of bronze, brass, copper, stainless and aluminium. Engine blocks are usually cast iron instead of their automotive aluminium counterpart, as it doesn’t react with saltwater as much as steel or aluminium. All saltwater cooling and heat exchanger are made from copper, plastic, bronze and rubber. Also different areas have different salinity and humidity, making a big difference in how must corrosion the boat will experience.

And I swear, I couldn’t make this up even if I tried. They had a female 30a 120v twist lock plug on a 1ft 10/3 cabtire going to a male 20a twist lock with a 20ft cabtire to a male 15a plug. This is how they did the 30a to 15a conversion (to plug your 30a shore power cord into a 15a receptacle on shoreside). They used a spray paint can cap to cover it up and wrapped it in black tape.

So that's what the holes in the prongs are for.
After all these years of wondering.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,134 Posts

Boat people and trailer people are the worst when it comes to wiring. They all know someone who who can "do" electrical..
Some of the jury rigs I've seen over the years make you wonder how the wiring didn't kill someone

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,605 Posts
So that's what the holes in the prongs are for.
After all these years of wondering.
Many years ago, when a house was being built, if the service was hot and the temp had been removed, if there was no receptacle installed in the laundry room, we'd stick the wire through the holes in the prongs and bend it over. Since there were no holes in the ground prong, we didn't hook up the ground, just the hot and neutral.

12841 - 12860 of 12863 Posts