Electrician Talk banner
13281 - 13300 of 13322 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Florida, USA
8,491 Posts
Flashpoint of that oil (10W) is only around 390F.
No torch was needed in that environment to ignite the oil.
I wonder what the temp of the oil was coming out of the system.
What are the temps in that environment under normal operating conditions?

·
Registered
650 Posts
There was a tile drop ceiling sprayed with a fine oil mist that is already on fire. I don't think any type of fire sprinkler system would keep up with that until the hydraulic system shut down or runs out of oil. I saw a comment on another forum that a glycol solution should have been used for the fluid instead of mineral based oil.

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician, Class A
1,722 Posts
Although no official explanations have yet been given as to the cause of the fire, studies have shown that aluminum is volatile enough that when it catches fire, regular old water can result in devastation — even being implicated by researchers in tragedies including London's Grenfell Tower fire in 2017 and in the collapse of the World Trade Center in 2001.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
3,402 Posts
Isn't it possible the welder lighting his torch was coincidental, it looks like after the seal blew out spraying oil mist, the fire started in the machine below, maybe by the still-hot extrusion.
I agree that the torch light was coincidental to the fire. The hydraulic fluid should have been aqueous based, and not petroleum based, and the fire looks like it started low where the hot aluminum was coming out of the extruder.
I have personally seen the effects of a hydraulic line rupturing in a fine mist and hitting a hot turbocharger running maybe at 600 F. The machine was engulfed in a huge fire until the fire burned the already shaky wire harness in two. The engine shut down and the hydraulic pump stopped putting out the fire.
Guess who’s job it was to fab up a new harness from scratch on this soot covered machine? Yeah I love my job.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
562 Posts
You too can build an addition without moving your electrical meter!
Disclaimer: Service attachement point must be under eave mounted, not a service mast thru the roof
And if the crimp connection on the triplex pulls apart when you move the anchor point down the wall, no worries! Just reinsert the live cable and tape it up with tuck tape!

Automotive parking light Sky Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Window

·
Registered
510 Posts
Im on a bit of a roll

So these particular examples really pissed me off. Some data contractor came in and put up wireway throughout the plant, and then one of the smooth brains told whoever was in charge of the project that "he could do conduit no problem".

They dropped EMT down from the wireway into panels throughout the plant

They must have also needed 120v for a switch, because they came down into a 240v, 3 phase panel for "120"....

Here are some of those drops

Grey Line Gas Machine Facade

Fixture Yellow Building Motor vehicle Gas

Wood Material property Composite material Tints and shades Electrical wiring

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wood Tradesman Floor Line Flooring

Wood Beam Hardwood Plank Lumber

We were roughing in a duplex reno for the 3rd time now..
The house had just been moved to a new foundation after the original one failed, so half the wiring was pulled up and coiled on the main floor. They had a break-in the other night and and all the coils were cut and taken. Home runs at the panel cut short too. Random wires even cut for no reason.
Pretty sure we won't be back for a 4th.

13281 - 13300 of 13322 Posts