Electrician Talk banner
13341 - 13360 of 13397 Posts

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
What else is on that picnic table with him? Is that a 6 of Natty Daddy’s?

·
Registered
553 Posts
View attachment 167211
Service call this morning. They could smell smoke.
This kids, is why you always pre twist the wires.
more like, this kids, is why you don't do your own electrical, unless you are an electrician. You can tell by how that romex is stripped that an electrician did not do this. I wouldn't trust a homeowner to do any sort of connection properly, pre-twisted or not

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Who needs six movements of the hand when you can have 30! There's no main here or outside, GRC exits the meter, enters below the garage slab and stubs through the foundation here in the basement. The CH panel was installed at some point for a pool. How was this ever complaint? How was the house sold this way? Why the yellow checkered flags painted on the walls? So many questions.

Electrical wiring Electricity Wood Gas Machine

Doesn't really matter. It's getting replaced with a service upgrade 😁

·
Registered
283 Posts
Font Parallel Number Document Monochrome

I don't see where it says DO NOT pre twist. I see where it says it's acceptable.. that said I do agree that the wire nut should be good and tight either way.

Joe, it looks like they just went overboard following directions.. the ideal picture even shows a couple twists in the insulated portion.

An apprentice years ago brought me over to check out his first couple splices. Looked just like that. 10 twists in the insulated part, while the bare copper had none.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,858 Posts
kind of makes me wonder if they had one of them fancy wire nut twisters that go in cordless drill or impact driver.....
i do not try to twist enough to twist the insulation, sometimes it ends up with one or two
but i do make very certain that the copper is twisted equally together (as in dont let one twist around the other straight one)

i have seen tons of wnuts burned and melted but only from a bad connection inside them

·
Registered
83 Posts
Who needs six movements of the hand when you can have 30! There's no main here or outside, GRC exits the meter, enters below the garage slab and stubs through the foundation here in the basement. The CH panel was installed at some point for a pool. How was this ever complaint? How was the house sold this way? Why the yellow checkered flags painted on the walls? So many questions.
There's a good chance that it does comply with the old 6 throw rule. The left vintage GE panel appears to be the "main" panel while the CH panel and right vintage GE panel are "subs". You can just make out a nipple between the 2 GE panels. I count 4 throws to kill the electricity.

The breaker labeled "Sub Main" is a rather old TQL and is probably feeding the right GE panel. Most likely original to the service. I've seen old 3-pole single handle TQL breakers like that so I'm not surprised to see a 2-pole single handle version.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,577 Posts
Wiring up a new CNC machine today, walked over to the other side of the shop and found this GEM. Apparently it's been like this for a couple years. You can even see all the oil buildup on the wires. Machine was running.
View attachment 165055
View attachment 165056
View attachment 165057
Seeing the CNC machine with open conductors reminds me of a good story.
In slow times when I worked at the Navy yard they would loan labor to the different shops to avoid layoffs.
One time we got a " Fire Control Guy" that were supposed to be the best and he thought he was. So he was sent to troubleshoot a CNC machine. He come back and says " the motor is running but I don't have any current". The guys in the shop look at each other and say show us. He opens the back of the machine and says "I hook up my amprobe to this black wire going to the motor and get no current" . We laugh and walk away, he had it around the hydraulic line it was a hydraulic motor.

Cowboy

·
Registered
15,056 Posts

View attachment 167441

Doesn't really matter. It's getting replaced with a service upgrade 😁
You really should have pulled covers so we could see how they got all the panels connected.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,858 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
what is that ? half of a threadless rigid connector?
they really should have gotten a galvanized reducer bushing

with no boots on the roof penetrations
there should at least be silicone or something to fill the gap
doesnt water run right on down in there ?
It is a myers hub stuck into half of a LFMC connector. No idea why anyone would do that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
3,818 Posts
It is a myers hub stuck into half of a LFMC connector. No idea why anyone would do that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
So that conduit with the 1/2 myers hub is just jammed into the 1/2 flex connector? No mechanical connection of the conduit to the box? WOW!

13341 - 13360 of 13397 Posts