Electrician Talk banner
13381 - 13397 of 13397 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
That unit looks a lot newer than the cabinet it's in. Also it's installed sideways? Was this done in a hurry to get things running again and will be made "right" when the schedule will allow?
There was an old Tandy HMI in there before. Yup you need a 90 in your neck to see it properly. The well has been down for 2 years, and they are still working on a plan to get it to flow again. Nothing that's gonna happen overnight, that's for sure.

·
Registered
578 Posts
First off, this is MY gem..thought this would be the place to post:giggle:...After weeks and weeks of 100 degree+ weather, the AC condenser motor quit. Of course it has to be when the grandkids are here and it's the weekend. After years of working in packing houses and cold storages here in CA, you remember condenser/cooling tower theories and controls....So what if I took a simple box-fan and......sure might not be the right air flow etc but had fun hooking it up...and,it worked! It's a good feeling figuring these things out...But look-out E-bay, hunting for a motor tomorrow...
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Road surface

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
3,486 Posts
First off, this is MY gem..thought this would be the place to post:giggle:...After weeks and weeks of 100 degree+ weather, the AC condenser motor quit. Of course it has to be when the grandkids are here and it's the weekend. After years of working in packing houses and cold storages here in CA, you remember condenser/cooling tower theories and controls....So what if I took a simple box-fan and......sure might not be the right air flow etc but had fun hooking it up...and,it worked! It's a good feeling figuring these things out...But look-out E-bay, hunting for a motor tomorrow... View attachment 167677
That's some high quality Appalachian-American engineering there, good work, nice Knopp there also.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Can someone tell me why those refrigerant lines to a central AC can’t first run through a heat exchanger in a water heater, and peel off some of that free heat and store it before it goes to the outside condenser to complete the cooling process?

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,858 Posts
i have thought of a ton of things over the years, and almost every time i wondered why no one had done it before, it turns out it costs more than its worth

it might also require some sort of interposing heat-exchanger to avoid the possibility of freon line corrosion inside the water heater
a freon leak inside a w. heater would be bad a bunch of ways

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
i have thought of a ton of things over the years, and almost every time i wondered why no one had done it before, it turns out it costs more than its worth

it might also require some sort of interposing heat-exchanger to avoid the possibility of freon line corrosion inside the water heater
a freon leak inside a w. heater would be bad a bunch of ways
That’s why I suggested a heat exchanger, outside in the condenser copper pipe from the water heater can be welded to and parallel with the condenser lines. So there would be no mixing.

When my pool heater blew up, I bought 200 feet of 1 inch sprinkler pipe underground, and built for solar panels and circulated the filter water through it. It worked 10 times better than the gas heater and totally free after I purchase materials.

Reactions: canbug
13381 - 13397 of 13397 Posts