Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Head Grunt
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a service call to a generator the other day. New 14k unit with 200amp whole house transfer. Call was for dead battery. Tested battery, put on charge off my truck, tested the charger and found no output. checked the fuse at the transfer panel and found it was good but no wire run from transfer switch to the generator "T-1 circuit" there is about 75' between the two, everything is buried and frozen and someone was kind enough to use flexible PVC conduit on the generator end. I asked who did the install and the HO stated her gas company. She had called them for this problem and they would not return her call no less come back to the home. They ran the line feed in one set of conduit and all the signal wires in another. I tried pulling just one signal wire to use as a chase and they apparently taped them all together and getting all of them to slip through the flexible conduit is near impossible. So, my question is can i run a jumper from the T-1 generator connection over to one of the line sense connections until spring when i can dig up this conduit end and unhook the flexible conduit? Or would the load be too much for the fuse causing a failure and a drop in line sense causing the generator to start/run and transfer over?

·
Registered
66 Posts
As NRP3 said it will work short term but in an extended power outage the generator will be running on the battery as generac has no battery charging alternator.

In a 1 hour outage it will run fine anything over that is just a guess as to how long it will run before it discharges the battery and shuts down

·
Head Grunt
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be nice if i could charge the installer but i do not want to get in the middle of that mess so this is just between the HO and I. I have been thinking of other options but i am unsure. My only other thought is the 0-DC common ground circuit. If this is bonded to the ground buss could i use this wire to attach to the T1?

·
Head Grunt
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lay a piece of UF cable on the ground as a temp work-around until the ground thaws out, and you can install it properly.

:whistling2:
That is an option, only problem is distance. Straight line is about 75' between the home and generator but she is parking in this area meaning it is getting plowed. Running a separate wire will be my last effort, just have to watch my voltage drop over the distance to go around the parking area. Thanks for the info guys. I will let you know how i solve this.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,332 Posts
Run the wiring overhead, 10 foot min, use a properly sized guy wire for the run to ensure the wire will not carry the weight load. Get a permit and an inspection. What is wrong with doing things properly and by the book?

Now for the hijack- How is minimum height figured when you get adjustable floor coverings about 5 months of the year during winter? Is snow pileup ignored? Doesn't it compact enough to give you ability to reach further up to the overhead service drops? Some of the old service drops around here, you are able to touch the drip loops if you are six foot or taller. With a few feet of snow on the ground, I imagine a ten year old kid could grab em just as well.

·
Head Grunt
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depending on which transfer switch and whether you are using load shedding, you might be able to move the 0 they ran to T1 on both ends.
Update, my apologies for not getting back sooner. The load shedding was not used and this is exactly what i did. Working great now. Customer is happy with the cheap easy fix and hope to now have the maintenance contract. She was happy enough that her relatives built her a small garage from a Curtis Lumber kit and she had me wire it. Nice little easy job.

·
Head Grunt
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
12v DC ground for the load shed feature. The load shed is not being used so this gave me the circuit i needed without running a temporary.

·
Can't Remember
11,057 Posts
Half the time people don't bother to run it. You wouldn't need it if you are installing one of the small prewired transfer switches. They don't have a place to land it. A lot of guys don't hook up any of the load shed features. If there are ac condensers involved, its a good idea to use at least the low voltage terminals to break the y.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.