Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer that has bought a Generac 17KW with the ATS that has the load center. Problem is, his panel is flush mounted and he wants the ATS surface mounted.

How would you go about running the pre-wired whip from the ATS to the panel since the panel is flush mounted?

Here's a pic of his panel. The small panel to the left is the pool equipment.
To the right of the panel is the corner and there is only 16" to the corner.
Well I guess it's one stud bay.

Any ideas?

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Put a gutter at the bottom, and 90 out of the panel into that, and into the side of the ATS
The bottom of the panel is jammed up already..

I would just run the whip into the right side knockout..

There is no way of making this install "pretty".. :no::no:

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
The bottom of the panel is jammed up already..

I would just run the whip into the right side knockout..

There is no way of making this install "pretty".. :no::no:
Yeah, I didn't look at all those KO's are taken at the bottom. Yep Right side, but I would 90 to the surface & LB over.

Your saying to take the ST whip like a sinking Torpedo into the drywall at an angle ?

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I do not know if I could do it much different but I would act like I could have done it his way if he bought it from me.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Chances are there is a 2X4 next to the panel where the whip would be brought in..

I would cut out a piece of rock to gain access to use a holesaw...

Once a hole is made into the panel.. "CAREFULLY".. I would bring the whip straight in..

How much play the whip has and how flexible it is has to be figured out on site..

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
Yeah, you got a problem here. The right side will be a PITA anywhere those SEC's are. That ATS you have has the circuit whip coming out of the left bottom side right? It's 24" long and then you have the extra length in leads.

If it was me, i would stand there for about 45min. just looking at it after telling the HO to leave me be.

Cut the drywall out surgically on the right side of the house panel. Use a holesaw quite a bit larger than the connector and drill the right stud up high above SEC's. If there is a KO there, even better, or slug bust it.

Mount the ATS on the adjacent wall on nice looking 3/4 inch boards so the whip will clear the corner stud. Then just cut a nice little half round out of the drywall you removed, install and patch.

Then the generator whip can go to a j-box nippled to the outside of course.

Just an idea.

·
Can't Remember
10,138 Posts
Ditch that transfer switch entirely. Not a bad product, but what if you bought a genready panel? Big, but you can flush mount it and still cover the circuits you need. Granted its an additional expense.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chances are there is a 2X4 next to the panel where the whip would be brought in..

I would cut out a piece of rock to gain access to use a holesaw...

Once a hole is made into the panel.. "CAREFULLY".. I would bring the whip straight in..

How much play the whip has and how flexible it is has to be figured out on site..
But what do you do about where the whip would enter the wall to go into the panel?

And yes, there is a stud next to the panel on the right side.

It would be ideal to enter the top of the panel since no 2x4s would have to be cut and the service comes in at the bottom.

·
Can't Remember
10,138 Posts
I have changed sides on the whip, but I don't know if there is room to punch a hole in the back, even if you did, not sure you would have the bend radius to do it anyway.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
But what do you do about where the whip would enter the wall to go into the panel?

And yes, there is a stud next to the panel on the right side.

It would be ideal to enter the top of the panel since no 2x4s would have to be cut and the service comes in at the bottom.
Then just make up your own whip and come into the top like you wanted..

Nothing says you have to use their whip that I know of...

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Sorrry, Boys.I would be operating on the drywall to match existing install.
Great idea.. but I'm pretty sure the ATS is made to be surface mounted..

I'm not sure if there is some quirky code that says recessing surface mounted equipment is not accepted.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I would use the top knockout of main and put splice box above there then come out the side of box into transfer switch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts