Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20KW generac generator. The unit is 3 years old. The controller needed to be replaced twice. The first time it was replaced approxiametly 1 year ago. The generator exercised for over 4 hours instead of 12 minutes. The controller is now totally dead, it died during it's last exercise period. Is this a common problem, or a fluke?

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I have a 20KW generac generator. The unit is 3 years old. The controller needed to be replaced twice. The first time it was replaced approxiametly 1 year ago. The generator exercised for over 4 hours instead of 12 minutes. The controller is now totally dead, it died during it's last exercise period. Is this a common problem, or a fluke?
Its common on the older units. Generac is considered the low end of the quality spectrum.

I would call customer service and let them know how you really feel. Customer service has gotten better over the last 2 years so they might be willing to help out.

·
Can't Remember
11,140 Posts
Curious as to whether this has the Nexus board or the one before it. Does it just lose the display or everything? Seems odd that its happened twice. The pre nexus ones would lose the display. I have replaced Nexus boards that have outright failed, hit by lightning, or needed a more recent version of software to cure issues.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The controller failed in two different ways. The first time it failed by exercising for more than four hours,instead of twelve minutes. The second tine it failed it the display went dead. The generator ran perfectly for ten days after Sandy. I don't think it is an installation issue. The generator died the second time durring its exercise period, not a cloud in the sky, no lightening when problem occurred .

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
The generator is dead. I have a new nexus on order, covered by warranty.
Hopefully you marked it up properly when you sold the job so that the warranty work covers moat of your labor. I guess I'm lucky because I've never had a problem with Generac other than the one time I improperly connected the red and black to the 26R battery or maybe needed to bleed the gas line. One things for certain, the learning never ends with generator installations/ maintenance.

·
Can't Remember
11,140 Posts
Sitting at the dinner table with customers and the wife says "what does generator guy have at home?" Generator guy doesn't have the scratch for one of those, but does nicely with his 8kw portable and interlock. Maybe I should get one just for the problems.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hopefully you marked it up properly when you sold the job so that the warranty work covers moat of your labor. I guess I'm lucky because I've never had a problem with Generac other than the one time I improperly connected the red and black to the 26R battery or maybe needed to bleed the gas line. One things for certain, the learning never ends with generator installations/ maintenance.

Your definitly right about that. I just got certified by Kohler and Generac to do service,maintenace and ewarranty work as well as went over basic installation stuff and i learned some things that may not pertain to us electricians but will help now sizing propane tanks and such. It was definitely a learning experieince and i cant wait to further my knowledge.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.