Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have this 20kw generator that has one 1 1/4 knockout on the back. It needs the feeders and control wires to it from the transfer switch. Do you guys run the feeders and control wires in separate conduits/flex, or in the same?

·
Banned
549 Posts
You can run both in one.

Remember that you can't use bell wire, all the wire in the pipe needs to be able to handle 240V.

Most people just run #14 THHN since it's available everywhere. The next generator I do, I am going to use #18 tray cable.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
You can run both in one.

Remember that you can't use bell wire, all the wire in the pipe needs to be able to handle 240V.

Most people just run #14 THHN since it's available everywhere. The next generator I do, I am going to use #18 tray cable.
That's a great idea. :thumbsup: Do you have a source for it? I've never known it to be a stock item at supply houses. We uses miles of it at work and the supply house has to order it from OmniCable.

·
Banned
549 Posts
Generac is making available an #18-7 tray cable for control wiring. Its selling for .50 a foot. Available in 250' rolls and up. It's made by Cable Master.
At the link I posted above you can get 18-7 tray cable for 42 cents per foot and you can order any length you want. The website is Jlarson approved which is good enough for me when it comes to this stuff.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,311 Posts
If the generac is remote far enough away, the 240 volt sensing circuit can be contaminated thru induction from the generator feeders when run in the same conduit. So it thinks the poco is back up and running. It reads itself. Gets confusing huh?

Reactions: flyboy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have this 20kw generator that has one 1 1/4 knockout on the back. It needs the feeders and control wires to it from the transfer switch. Do you guys run the feeders and control wires in separate conduits/flex, or in the same?
You are in Canada and u cannot run control wiring in the same conduit , you will have problems ,
I did the same thing and It came back to haunt me
For example:the magnetic field created by the 240 volts will interfere with the communications of the control I can almost guarrantee this.
But if you insist , dont say I never warned you

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
If the generac is remote far enough away, the 240 volt sensing circuit can be contaminated thru induction from the generator feeders when run in the same conduit. So it thinks the poco is back up and running. It reads itself. Gets confusing huh?
I have read the same thing in the manual. It says up to a certain distance one conduit is fine. I believe it is like 25'.
Typically anything over that I do two conduits.
Then again, I am in the US.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
You are in Canada and u cannot run control wiring in the same conduit , you will have problems ,
For example:the magnetic field created by the 240 volts will interfere with the communications of the control I can almost guarrantee this.
Manual says you can run the control wires along with feeder as long as the rating of the insulation is 600V I haven't had any problems, and some of mine have been up to 30' the pre whip length.

·
Banned
549 Posts
I don't know about the law in Canada, but electrical theory should be the same.

Many of us have been running the control wiring in the same pipe as the feeders for many years and never had a problem. You can't make any guarantees.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.