Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33,026 Posts
I knew I was getting screwed on my side, and the other crafts as well...
Why would you say this?

Why would you work for your current employer if this is the case?

Are you forced to work were you work?

Are you trained and licensed?

What are your employment skills?

Are contractors hiring in your area?

·
Registered
33,026 Posts
My questions remains the same.

Years ago I was the field superintendent working with a company that was on a federal housing project, they were suppose to pay prevailing wages. They were not, the owner told me he received a special exception form HUD for this project. I had no time agaist this project.

Well he got caught, he brought in each employee and offered them about 10% of what they were due and told them they could sign the paper and keep their job, or not sign it and be fired. I talked to each man telling them they could take a 6 months to find a job and still be ahead of the game if they asked for what they were due. To the man, they all signed the form stating he had paid them.

I QUIT. While here are grey areas sometimes, IMO right is right and wrong is wrong, an employee is due what they are due, and anything short of that is cheating or stealing.

This was not a hard luck case for the contractor he was VERY SUCESSFUL and knew what he was doing, the prevailing wage was not an issue he overlooked.

·
Registered
33,026 Posts
It is a two way street time bandits, material theft ECT and bosses that take advantage of employees, cheat on pay. There are dishonest people all over the place.

·
Registered
33,026 Posts
There are several ways to look at this.

From you POV you think the company is trying to pull a fast one on you.

But they may feel (rightly or wrongly) that as a long term employee you are getting more money then normal, if you get a cost of living allowance while on site then the extra pay is a nice benefit and they are being generous. At the end of the project you will have a job and the others from Boston will be on the bench.

Do you get a per diem or cost of living allowance for fod and hotels?

·
Registered
33,026 Posts
Not saying I disagree with you, but companies often try to smooth over the truth, feeling you guys would not understand or basically LYING because they can't handle telling the truth..In either case BIG MISTAKE.

But they may feel (rightly or wrongly) that as a long term employee you are getting more money then normal. At the end of the project you will have a job and the others from Boston will be on the bench.

·
Registered
33,026 Posts
As stated in the previous threads, these union hands will mostly be from the south anyway!
You do not know this for a fact, Most northern Union towns IN MY EXPIERENCE are tough on allowing travelers

]
Are you or have you ever been in the union?
I have been a Union member for 30 years, I have owned and operated a Union Shop for 23 years.

I have and understand the operations, as a journeyman electrician in the IBEW, previously...
BUT at present you are not and may or may not fall under union rules in Boston.

I have worked that routine, of going from job to job in the construction side...
Not my cup of tea I have only worked for 7 companies in 37 years, I prefer to work for the same company.

So I guess, that part of me, wants to see our rights protected, just as the union stands for their hands...
The point is as an open shop employee you may not have any rights in this except to decide to work with the rules the company set or quit.

Just because, we have decided to stick with working with one company, doesn't make it OK for them to short change us, if anything they should be thankful for the loyalty and be a little more rewarding...
Look I would not have handled this like your company did, but the fact is they are offering you a 40% bonus, not exactly short changing you, if they sent you to Florida to do the same job (if this is possible) you'd make 40% less for the same work.

Over the years I have worked where employees made more than I did, heck my first Union job I was listed as a "R" worker on a commercial job, even though I was the foreman. This was an overtime job, during off hours the apprentices made more that I did (They got double time while I only got 1-1/2 pay. I choose to accept it. MY choice.

You have a choice, be a disgruntled employee and accept it. Raise heck with everyone and maybe your fellow employees will benefit, as you are fired, or quit.

·
Registered
33,026 Posts
We'll it might be worth a try (Abolishing Unions), But I do not think history bears this out.....Your theroy.

In the Washington DC area the residential market is almost 100% open shop. They have the lowest wages and NO BENEFITS.......

·
Registered
33,026 Posts
I am a Union contractor and the KIDS just out of apprenticeship do not make what my expierenced men make....But if you are in construction, I carefully say this, but if they do have most of it down to do quality installations after 5-years in a program, maybe they should become a plumber.

If it was everyman for his self...you'd most likely have no retirement, health care, pay for your own education.

No I am no major Union promoter and there are some real issues with the unions. But they set a standard so even open shop workers benefit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.