Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received an invitation to quote the installation of camlocks for standby generators to enable connection and operation of load bank testing.

Most of these are 150 kVA units, with one larger, and 2 smaller.

I believe they will have one load bank testing device which they will transport from site to site. The installation of the camlocks would make the periodic testing an easy procedure.

Have you ever done this type of work, and did you install them at the generator unit, or at the transfer switch? Did you provide a panel or enclosure, or leave them hanging on pigtails?

I believe they want to be able to perform these load bank tests without affecting the utility connection at each site.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
We do it with a short piece that attaches to a breaker or lugs and then we have long ones that we roll out to where ever the tester is.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
So you need what we call a tap box on the emergency side of the ATS. This allows you to also tie in a portable generator if your tap box is between the genset breaker and the ATS.
We have got them made many ways, with cams on the bottom usually.
You can also get the cams behind a door cover.
Usually the load banks come with cables so you just provide 400 amp cams.

·
Registered
31,178 Posts
I have received an invitation to quote the installation of camlocks for standby generators to enable connection and operation of load bank testing.

I believe they will have one load bank testing device which they will transport from site to site. The installation of the camlocks would make the periodic testing an easy procedure.

Have you ever done this type of work, and did you install them at the generator unit, or at the transfer switch? Did you provide a panel or enclosure, or leave them hanging on pigtails?

I believe they want to be able to perform these load bank tests without affecting the utility connection at each site.
I have installed 100's of Camlocs, last year we did 5-4000 amp camloc setups for one customer for a roll up generator, we built the boxes and installed all the taps, I might have pictures came out looking nice.

·
415 Posts
My attempt at Googling camlocs turned up nothing electrical. Could someone please post a link for them? Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Down here in FLA we use these. These things are great and you can custom build them to. It even states on the web site that they are for load bank testing.

http://www.powerlogics.com/generator-docking-stations.php

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
P&S and leviton both make them also.
If you need to buy cable we have dealt with trystar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts