Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been licensed for many years but do mostly trouble shooting and remodeling. Now a friend wants me to connect his 10 kw generator to his house. I'm not up to speed on this. What is most economical and efficient? Ahead of the panel with a break before make double pole switch appeals to me more than transfer switches. What do you recommend? Thanks. Mike

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Generac sells an awesome retro kit.. it's a second panel that ties in to the main and automatically switches. It's ezpz.

http://www.generac.com/all-products/transfer-switches/home-backup

Pre-Wired Switch
Generac’s Pre-Wired Switch is an automatic transfer switch and distributed load center that backs up selected circuits for essential circuit coverage. Pre-wired for the easiest and least expensive installation on the market, they are an excellent value when whole house coverage is unnecessary.

Available in 10, 12, 14 or 16 circuits
30 ft. pre-wired conduit connects transfer switch to external box
2 ft. pre-wired conduit for moving circuits from the main panel to the transfer switch
Pre-wired external connection box with weatherproof conduit for generator connections
NEMA 1 enclosure

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
For portable go with a new CHCH panel with the built-in interlock panel cover. The 200 amp is a 42-circuit and the breakers are full shut off so the wife knows which one tripped and is able to reset it without bothering you at work about it. Then of course the inlet box on the exterior and flexible cord. It's a simple, affordable system and you'll be the envy of the neighborhood next time the power goes out.

Or, do a whole-house standby generator with the automatic transfer switch. This'll be the better of the two options.

·
Registered
809 Posts
This is my plan. 150 amp main breaker panel with a 2pole 60 feeding a sub panel with another 2 pole 60. On the other side a 2 pole 30 that is getting fed from the portable generator inlet box. In the sub/gen panel the 30 & 60 will be tied together so only 1 can be on at a time. Will this idea work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts