Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see these interlock kits installed a lot but never used one. What are the NEC code thoughts about these? Not peoples opinion. Personally I think some of them are a great idea. Others could be dangerous. I referenced 702.4.B and B.1. Also 702.5. This tells me that the aftermarket ones that you mount to the cover should not be allowed because if the cover is off then there is no interlock feature. You are also drilling the panel cover. Is this altering the panel listing. Can you install brand X interlock onto brand Y panel? I like the type that fasten to the breaker instead. 702.4.B and B.1 talks about system capacity. Does this mean Suzy home owner decides what load is to be connected? I have seen a 7500 watt generator feeding a 200 amp, 40 circuit panel. These interlock kits are much cheaper to install so I might switch to them. If I ask 5 different AHJ then I get 6 different answers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
NEC isn't my code...

My thoughts are that while the interlock kit is a listed/approved device, it still needs to be used appropriately. Also, unqualified people should not be removing a panel cover to defeat a safety device.

Generator panels here come pre-interlocked. Its not an accessory I've encountered at a retailer... always a supply house item.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/genera...36-circuits-maximum-generator-panel-box-46158

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,121 Posts
702.5 states "...in any operation of the transfer equipment." So by your question and reasoning if the cover is removed and the (transfer) equipment is mounted to the cover, then the equipment is not being used if someone closes both, being able to do so since the cover mounted equipment is now removed.

We can't prevent all stupids from being stupid all of the time. Although you could upsell a wall-mounted synchroscope as a CYA. If they don't pay attention to the metering with the cover off it's on them. They'd be so befuddled you might be able to sell an ATS at that point.

Is there any literature provided with the interlock? the manufacturer's literature "should" address and modification with their kit.

·
Administrator
EC
22,182 Posts
Reactions: kb1jb1

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,381 Posts
I don't like it unless it is an interlocking breaker or ATS period.. Our brother electricians lives depend on that safety.

As for the size load the protection on the Generator will protect it.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
31,599 Posts
I like making markup for automatic transfer switches. I like making money for installing standby generators. I like referring the owner to another company I know for handling all the maintenance on them. 5 minutes or 5 miles, whichever comes first.........

·
Just trying to get home
Site Engineer
2,121 Posts
yeah...don't get me wrong. If I installed something at my house I'd have it Kirk keyed. As it is I still use a portable with cordsets.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of those are not listed. I have used them but if you are getting inspected then you need to go with the listed one.

I assume you are talking about the one from this company
https://www.geninterlock.com/manufa...-O_x638pHwmNRe7JSsVZ6VWq5YTi_CPsaAoyNEALw_wcB
Some brands are " Classified " and not "listed" so I wonder what Eaton or Siemens would say if you put the Geninterlock type on their panel. Someone said they buy the panel with the interlock installed at the factory which I like. Let them assume liability.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response. It seems others are also uncomfortable with these after market devices. I am going to check at the supply house if they are available with the factory installed interlock.

·
Registered
Electrician
40 Posts
Thanks for the response. It seems others are also uncomfortable with these after market devices. I am going to check at the supply house if they are available with the factory installed interlock.
What if you don’t have the factory install the interlock kit, but you buy a Square D kit from the supply house at the same time you buy a Square D panel. Would that basically be the same as they’re liable since it’s all their equipment?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What exactly is the difference between UL listed and UL classified?
I believe " UL Listed " is the product as a whole was evaluated. In this case the panel with the factory installed interlock was submitted as a complete unit. The aftermarket product may be " UL Classified " because it is a part or component of an assembly. The entire end product was not evaluated. Maybe it will work or maybe it won't work. UL Listing includes intended use and installation instructions. Field installed kits are subject to the skill set of the installer. Again, this is only my understanding. Would I use these kits? On my house yes. On a stranger's house, no.

·
Registered
Electrician
40 Posts
So if you have a customer that wants a way to use their 6500W portable generator without running extension cords all over the house what would be your preferred method? I just use the kit and explain everything to include they’ll be limited by the overload protection on the generator so no using the AC, dryer, stove, etc. But when they realize they’ll have lights, TV, fridge, and internet, they’re usually pretty happy with what I’ve done.

Last week I installed a Generac home link panel for a guy, it's just basically an 8 circuit sub panel. He bought the thing himself because he said he called Generac and that's what they recommend. So when we were identifying the circuits to feed from the Generac panel, there were two circuits he was forced to back up with the gen panel that he didn't want, because the whole house was wired with multi-wire branch circuits and the Generac panel switches the neutral. In the end he wasn't happy he didn't have any lights or outlets on his second floor living area. I told him I didn't recommend that panel to him, if he called me first I would have gotten an interlock kit for his QO panel and I would have been able to install it in half the time.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,689 Posts

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
PG&E's rolling black outs have created a tremendous demand for gen-sets.

Our forests are burning down because of Environmentalism. The Greens gradually prohibited tinder removal -- and in some quarters actually favored wild fires. (!!!)

And, plainly, here and there, some of our fires have been started by arsonists... mentally deficient souls, no doubt.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
PG&E's rolling black outs have created a tremendous demand for gen-sets.

Our forests are burning down because of Environmentalism. The Greens gradually prohibited tinder removal -- and in some quarters actually favored wild fires. (!!!)

And, plainly, here and there, some of our fires have been started by arsonists... mentally deficient souls, no doubt.
Might as well get it while the getting is good.

Sounds like opportunity to me.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,689 Posts
Yes - it's a knock off?

Or

Yes - it carries the same weight as a UL listing?

I installed one a few weeks back.
I say they are legit; where the Code requires equipment to be listed, ultimately the AHJ decides which labs they accept, but they'd be out on a limb not accepting a lab on OSHA's list of recognized NRTLs.

Labeled. Equipment or materials to which has been attached a label, symbol, or other identifying mark of an organization that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction and concerned with product evaluation, that maintains periodic inspection of production of labeled equipment or materials, and by whose labeling the manufacturer indicates compliance with appropriate standards or performance in a specified manner.

Listed. Equipment, materials, or services included in a list published by an organization that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction and concerned with evaluation of products or services, that maintains periodic inspection of production of listed equipment or materials or periodic evaluation of services, and whose listing states that either the equipment, material, or service meets appropriate designated standards or has been tested and found suitable fora specified purpose.
FPN: The means for identifying listed equipment may vary for each organization concerned with product evaluation,some of which do not recognize equipment as listed unless it is also labeled. Use of the system employed by the listing organization allows the authority having jurisdiction to identify a listed product.
Identified (as applied to equipment). Recognizable as suitable for the specific purpose, function, use, environment, application, and so forth, where described in a particular Code requirement.
FPN: Some examples of ways to determine suitability of equipment for a specific purpose, environment, or application include investigations by a qualified testing laboratory(listing and labeling), an inspection agency, or other organizations concerned with product evaluation.

Reactions: MHElectric

·
Registered
E 1 Electrician
30 Posts
I used one in my home only because my panel is in a finished basement with drywall ceilings. I was able to get into the back of the panel from the outside to install the inlet receptacle outside. It does the job but question if it’s nec compliant.... If the cover is removed, the interlock goes away.
I preferred to use a gentran but that wasn’t an option for me.
I don’t think I’d use an interlock in someone else’s home.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts