Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I it is a new unit then it should be under warranty what brand is it
Dont know havent spiken to customer as I said in prior post was given a brief description over email.

I dont normally fix gens. But u have fixed my own small engines ie snowblower lawnmower boat motor. As well as fixing my own vehicles so im Mechanically inclined.

Wasnt sure if anyone has had similar problem I will probably touch base with customer later this afternoon

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Dont know havent spiken to customer as I said in prior post was given a brief description over email.

I dont normally fix gens. But u have fixed my own small engines ie snowblower lawnmower boat motor. As well as fixing my own vehicles so im Mechanically inclined.

Wasnt sure if anyone has had similar problem I will probably touch base with customer later this afternoon
If it is a generac and under warranty he needs to call for someone who does warranty repair.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wasnt trying to be vague was just asking a general question about the problem I was told was happening.

once I did contact customer they explained that they wanted to move and install a new generator, so the customer who put in the request obv didnt know what they were talking about.

Sorry for wasting anyones time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
24 big guy said:
I have a customer whos generator is not working properly. They say it's going into over speed. Any thoughts ???
Most generators have a closed loop electronic governor. There's a governor module somewhere that gets a pulse signal either off a hall effect sensor that sniffs a reluctor on the flywheel or the ignition coil. Usually, subsitution is the best method of troubleshooting these problems as hall-effect sensors wont check out with a meter. I have a digital oscilloscope that i will sometimes use to look for the pulse train if I don't have spare parts to swap out.

As another poster mentioned, the throttle stepper motor might be bad but usually the generator will fail safe and not open the throttle.

I had one air-cooled generator that had a mechanical governor the tracked the coolant air blower. If you ran it with the door open it would go crazy.

Another thing to look at is to see if it oscillating - slowing down from fuel starvation, followed by an overswing by the governor. I had a few that did that due to low gas pressure. A lean mixture on a gasoline gen will so the same thing. IIf it oscillates violently on startup, and if you can force it to stabilize by mechanically restricting the throttle stepper motor, you may simply need to reduce the loop feedback gain on the governor module. There's usually a pot for that and another 10-turn pot for setting the frequency (rpm). All it takes is a few wild swings for the controller to lockout and pop and overspeed warning code/light.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you find.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.