Electrician Talk banner
101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Conservitum Americum
8,838 Posts

Thanks for the reply!

Think I may have found these (both types) but, waiting for return e-mails from sources. the difficult one may be the 5-pin that attaches to the board.
I think I have some of each. I'll look in my stash tomorrow.

Got any measurement specs? What gauge wire?

Reactions: generating pain

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I think I have some of each. I'll look in my stash tomorrow.

Got any measurement specs? What gauge wire?
Thanks for the reply!

Only specs I would be able to obtain is the wire size which i believe is #20. There is a surplus parts house near here that, when I receive board will take the board down and see if i can match up reg board connector(s) and other plug(s).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Tried to edit the above post but, apparently there is a time limit as to when you can edit!

OK----Picked up wire which turned out to be 18 gauge so, that is that. Attempted to find connectors are previously mentioned and struck out there too....Will probably order from Mouser and hut down the other plug(s). Board still not delivered yet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I have no idea as to how I forgot this post!:001_huh:....I have 2 emails out to the seller of the board as to whom is the actual manufacturer. This way, I can know exactly what the board plug should be.

The parts house I went to yesterday came close but, "no cigar":(. Tried to order plug suggested but, my browser was out of date. So, using a different computer and will order 3 (2 and 1 spare)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
ANOTHER UPDATE -

Shocking:eek::eek: -

Went to take picts of wires and plugs attached to generator and found that one of then got quite hot! (see picts). Don't know if plug was resting on anything to cause this but, assume that it was high current draw. As in a previous post (with picts) found all wire windings were intact and "specked".

Another note -

Looking at some of the links supplied for the 3 hole plugs - looks like these are different in that, the pics look different than what I have as mine have a "half-moon at one end. May have to go "all-in" and cut off all the plugs and replace same since these (orig replacements) are hard to find and have no real descriptions to do a diligent hunt.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Ok, gonna have to "bit the bullet":( here and replace all the connectors.....

I did find some connectors on ebay (not sure ebay links are allowed here so, it is item number 232453903717 ). They are rated at 5.0 amps 240v.

Ya think they will handle the application that I am going to put them to use for?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
No unfortunately, same problem I have with photobucket, I think you need to pay now for it to work like that. Doesn't deter others from posting pics, I need to relearn...

Sorry for not following up on this! I am using this hosting site
( https://imgbb.com/ ) to host my posted picts. Seeing that we both encountered the same issue with Photobucket, this should work well as it has so far for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Thank you for keeping us up to date.

Purchased replacement plug ends last night except the one that attaches to the board.

Was blessed with a low-cut "stubby" capacitor on the board so, modifying the case will not be necessary.....Still have the issue of finding the 5-pin board plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
Just another update;

Three position (contact) plugs came in yesterday and am awaiting a few Molex connectors I took a gamble on to fit. If they don't fit, I will reluctantly have to cut off the the 5 pin that is on the defective/old AVR and utilize that. Will keep posted.

Another question; looking at the previously posted picts of the slip rings where one is "inner" and the other is "outer", which would be (if it matters or not) positive + and which negative -?.

The pict that is in the manual is rather "generic" and may be for demonstrative purposes only. However, looking at the rings (see next post) and the brush location, it shows the inner most brush polarity and being POSITIVE + and the outer most brush contacting the slip ring as being NEGATIVE - .

I believe that I will have to flash this gen before attempting to use. and I have a genuine fear of sending 6vdc back into the replacement AVR through the brushes into a board that is supposed to output voltage into the slip rings. If I have to remove the end bell cover to re-flash the generator as many times as it takes, I will probably do that instead of feeding back power to the board.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,838 Posts

Sorry for not following up on this! I am using this hosting site
( https://imgbb.com/ ) to host my posted picts. Seeing that we both encountered the same issue with Photobucket, this should work well as it has so far for me.
Photobucket can eat my dinglberries!

They sucked when they weren't a pay to play site.

I did find some stuff in my stash if you need it.

Reactions: generating pain

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Photobucket can eat my dinglberries!

They sucked when they weren't a pay to play site.

I did find some stuff in my stash if you need it.

Thanks for the reply!

I don't think any you have displayed here will be suitable but, will sincerely thank you as this is the only forum that any member has offered me anything other than giving me the finger - lol.

Received from mailbox the 3-pin/hole connectors...$hit!, they look too small to handle whatever current flows to/through them!:censored::censored:...If it is light current, it may work but...but...but...Serves me right to not wait for a response from ebay seller and to purchase anyway:(:(. The other 5-pin/hole Molex plug may come in today or tomorrow.

Would you or anyone know or guess as to how much current/amperage goes throuh these plugs in this, my current application?....

Will cut off old/orig connectors and use "butt" connectors to extend wires so that it gives me some "play room to make adjustments in connector type, etc.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,838 Posts
These can handle 18 ga wire I believe if that is your concern.

Look inside some scrap computers for the others you're looking for.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
These can handle 18 ga wire I believe if that is your concern.

Look inside some scrap computers for the others you're looking for.

Thanks for the reply!

I just started looking again on ebay...A minor setback but, will take my time and not be so f'ing impatient this go-round. I did look at my scrap computer stash and didn't really find much....

My preference is to make these up from scratch with the stock wire colors and extending the wires with butt connectors as mentioned so that in case I have "difficulties" again, I have plenty of slack to apply another connector if need be....

Found some 3-hole locking male/female plugs (ebay) that accept 14-20AWG wire which should suffice as a #18 wire is good for 5 amps. Attempting to use what I have here is just foolish.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·

Thanks for the reply!

I just started looking again on ebay...A minor setback but, will take my time and not be so f'ing impatient this go-round. I did look at my scrap computer stash and didn't really find much....

My preference is to make these up from scratch with the stock wire colors and extending the wires with butt connectors as mentioned so that in case I have "difficulties" again, I have plenty of slack to apply another connector if need be....

Found some 3-hole locking male/female plugs (ebay) that accept 14-20AWG wire which should suffice as a #18 wire is good for 5 amps. Attempting to use what I have here is just foolish.

Edit -

The previous picts above are the ones that have been ordered to replace the ones that would not work in the manner I needed them to. Also, the 5-pin din plugs I did order from ebay came in yesterday and they too won't work:cry: (pin spacing):censored::censored::censored:. Looks like I will have to scavenge the stock 5-pin din for use on the new board:cry::cry: AND stay away from ebay for a while!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 · (Edited)
UPDATE (again),

All parts are in and unwrapped. All guts in gen bell have been removed. Will begin cutting wires to utilize plug(s) in the morning.

***On the replacement updated AVR board there are 2 black wires coming from it with spade connectors. Each wire must connect to a brush.

That being in mind and with no markings for polarity on the board for polarity of the wires, will there be a difference for the placement of either black wire from the board to the brushes?

The manual for the flashing of the generator indicates the brushes apparently have a polarity but, that was for the original AVR and associated components..

Attachments

101 - 120 of 151 Posts