Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will the 11KW generator that comes with a 200 ATS be enough for a 200 amp panel wit elec dryer and elec outside ac unit. everything else is gas. city water and sewer.
Only 4- 20amp and 5 15 amp single pole breakers and the 2- 220 breakers.

I'm looking at the 11kw Generac with the 200 amp Transfer Switch

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dang, with only 2- 220v breakers I thought that would do. The condenser unit is a 20amp and the 30 amp. wonder why the put a 200 amp TS on it? Ive never seen less load on a 200 amp panel.

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 11KW comes with the 200 amp ATS and is a whole house generator. What could it be used for if it's not enough for a panel with only two electrical appliances
220 30a dryer
220v 20a condenser
4-120v 20a
5-120v 15a

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Ok, the dryer alone is going to be 5-6kw. Start adding things up. It won't take long until you are at 11kw capacity and it's hard on a generator to run at full capacity for long

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just makin sure I can or cant use it. dryers are usally 2k to 5k and the only other haevy appliance is the outside unit. The ATS is load sheding too.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Will the 11KW generator that comes with a 200 ATS be enough for a 200 amp panel wit elec dryer and elec outside ac unit. everything else is gas. city water and sewer.
Only 4- 20amp and 5 15 amp single pole breakers and the 2- 220 breakers.

I'm looking at the 11kw Generac with the 200 amp Transfer Switch
I think the 11kw is only good for a 3 ton ac where the 14kw is good for 3 1/2 ton ac.

You can get the 11kw packaged with a 50A 12 Circuit ATS if you don't care about running the ac.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
30,871 Posts
Bet it will be fine as long as they are prevented somehow from drying clothes when the ac is on. I know how to do that with another manual transfer switch and a 2 circuit breaker can or a 2 pole fused safety switch. But you need to pm me to get instruction for that.

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the 11kw is only good for a 3 ton ac where the 14kw is good for 3 1/2 ton ac.

You can get the 11kw packaged with a 50A 12 Circuit ATS if you don't care about running the ac.

she wants to run all and there's only 11 circuits in the main panel

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

yes the 14kw is good for 4-5 ton ac, condenser is a 20 amp, inside is gas

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
The 11KW comes with the 200 amp ATS and is a whole house generator. What could it be used for if it's not enough for a panel with only two electrical appliances
220 30a dryer
220v 20a condenser
4-120v 20a
5-120v 15a
Many houses don't have electric dryers, everything is natural gas. People also don't expect to use their central AC during an outage.

I often connect 5,500-7,500w portable generators to houses and run everything in the house except for air conditioning. Customers are always surprised at what they can do.

What you need to do is a load calculation. Naming the circuit breakers in the panel is meaningless, it doesn't matter if there is 4 breakers or 35, that doesn't change the load.

Chances are, you can use that 11kw generator if you shed the AC and the dryer. Even tho it's a 200A panel, chances are without the dryer and AC the load on the house is less than the 45A that the generator could produce.

·
Premium Member
18,550 Posts
That unit is way undersized for what you want to do.. it puts out about 45A max...

Just the dryer.. depending on the age uses about 25a.....
The dryer wont restart so, if you install a time delay on the AC unit, that 11kw should run the whole house.
My house with normal lights and TV on with the 4 ton AC unit draws under 5kw.
I think you could fit a decent amount of cooking equipment on that too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts