Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 480 volt diesel generator that my employer wants to use as an emergency back up for some lighting panels, but it does not have a neutral. Is there a way to create a neutral for this generator?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jw429ibew said:
I've got a 480 volt diesel generator that my employer wants to use as an emergency back up for some lighting panels, but it does not have a neutral. Is there a way to create a neutral for this generator?
It's funny you post this. I was just talking to a friend of mine, and we were discussing a transformer without a neutral. He was trying to convince me that it was legal to use the steel of the building. Anyone ever herd of this?

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
Mr. Troubleshooter said:
It's funny you post this. I was just talking to a friend of mine, and we were discussing a transformer without a neutral. He was trying to convince me that it was legal to use the steel of the building. Anyone ever herd of this?
Yeah, see it all the time. But that doesn't make it right.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
So if this isnt correct, then how do we create a neutral in this situation?
Use a properly sized neutral conductor?

The building steel by itself isn't "creating" anything. For it to operate as a neutral, it must be connected to the neutral/grounded point of the transformer. So if that point already exists, then just hook a wire to it.

-John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts