Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was taking some measurements on a Genset yesterday using my handheld oscilloscope and noticed that its producing a weird sine wave, what is happening here ?

Note the two pictures is from the same output, just different resolutions.

The generator is 1 year old, i am listing the specs below

15 KW

50 Hz

Single phase

Brushless alternator

Thanks in advance guys :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I seem to recall those handheld scopes being not-so-accurate for anything other than confirming that there's a regular oscillation "of some sort". Could be picking up interference?

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
I don't know that a sine wave that looked as yours does would bother me.

I have to ask, are you having trouble with connected equipment. Especially sensitive electronic equipments power units.

If not... Well I don't think I would be concerned. It is a manufactured sine wave at best. It is distorted but not terribly.

·
Registered
31,848 Posts
What size generator?
What did someone besides the local factory rep say (an application engineer with the manufacture)
Do you have a resistive load bank you can put on this unit and take another snapshot?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What size generator?
What did someone besides the local factory rep say (an application engineer with the manufacture)
Do you have a resistive load bank you can put on this unit and take another snapshot?
Its a 15Kw 4 pole alternator running at 1500 RPM

I don't have access to a load bank where the genny is installed.

Well its not causing any problems but i am very interested in knowing why its outputting an ugly wave like that, Any idea ?

·
Registered
31,848 Posts
Its a 15Kw 4 pole alternator running at 1500 RPM

I don't have access to a load bank where the genny is installed.

Well its not causing any problems but i am very interested in knowing why its outputting an ugly wave like that, Any idea ?
I would bet because it is a 15kw generator not an inverter or true sine wave unit.

Just a wild ass guess (WAG)

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,403 Posts
If the regulator has adjustable droop, it could be set too tight. Not enough droop would cause the regulator to ramp too fast and distort the waveform.

If the regulator senses all 3 phases, a waveform like that might be the result of incorrect connections from the stator to the regulator. Like if stator phase A is connected to regulator phase B and so on.

It could also be simply a poor design of the entire generator end.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the regulator has adjustable droop, it could be set too tight. Not enough droop would cause the regulator to ramp too fast and distort the waveform.

If the regulator senses all 3 phases, a waveform like that might be the result of incorrect connections from the stator to the regulator. Like if stator phase A is connected to regulator phase B and so on.

the genny is single phase, i will give droop a try if it got one

·
Registered
31,848 Posts

My bet:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts