Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a small diesel generator that he and I have been restoring. Its maybe 10 years old and looks like it is built to survive an atomic explosion.

We got it up and running, but the regulator is died. Ive ordered a replacement regulator (meccalte SR7/2G), but i'm wondering about the way he genny is wired. I suspect it is meant to provide a three phase output, but the previous owner had spliced a single phase household powerboard to one phase and was using it like that. possibly why the regulator died.

From what I can gather, the generator is a 6 wire meccalte unit, and it is currently wired as a delta. The regulator was a mecc alte SR7-1

here is a link to the genny showing the regulator and wiring as it is now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyorei/5259546211/

Im in australia (240Vac single phase) and the geneator was producing about this across one of the coils.

I'm wondering what the best way to wire this up is. It will primarily be used to provide single phase power. any help *much* appreciated.

thanks,

Ben

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
A friend has a small diesel generator that he and I have been restoring. Its maybe 10 years old and looks like it is built to survive an atomic explosion.

We got it up and running, but the regulator is died. Ive ordered a replacement regulator (meccalte SR7/2G), but i'm wondering about the way he genny is wired. I suspect it is meant to provide a three phase output, but the previous owner had spliced a single phase household powerboard to one phase and was using it like that. possibly why the regulator died.

From what I can gather, the generator is a 6 wire meccalte unit, and it is currently wired as a delta. The regulator was a mecc alte SR7-1

here is a link to the genny showing the regulator and wiring as it is now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyorei/5259546211/

Im in australia (240Vac single phase) and the geneator was producing about this across one of the coils.

I'm wondering what the best way to wire this up is. It will primarily be used to provide single phase power. any help *much* appreciated.

thanks,

Ben
You should call an Electrician:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should call an Electrician:eek:
Ive been round that block. Part of the problem is that the generator is on a remote property in outback Australia, and to get an electrician out there is not easy (and as such, prohibitatively expensive). the generator itself weighs enough that it needs a tractor or fork lift to pick it up - neither of which we have out at the site.

So far noone ive been in contact with has had much idea (or any more idea than I have). everyone either wants us to bring it in, or come out to see it - both of which are difficult and expensive for reasons ive given. I have an electrical background (Elec engineeing at university, a long time ago) so I'm not entirely without skill - just lacking experience in this particular area. none of the conversations ive had with regular electricians so far has left me feeling in any way confident that they have any more idea about this generator setup than I do.

all this is why i thought i'd see if there was anyone on here with some experience that can point me in the right direction. I was hoping for something more welcoming/helpful than "call an electrician". :icon_confused:

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I can't help you,myself. I am just learning foreign voltages. Look up the mfg. for the wiring diagram.Nice to know that there is still a lot of real estate on the planet! (do you have Outback restaurants in Sidney?)

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Ive been round that block. Part of the problem is that the generator is on a remote property in outback Australia, and to get an electrician out there is not easy (and as such, prohibitatively expensive). the generator itself weighs enough that it needs a tractor or fork lift to pick it up - neither of which we have out at the site.

So far noone ive been in contact with has had much idea (or any more idea than I have). everyone either wants us to bring it in, or come out to see it - both of which are difficult and expensive for reasons ive given. I have an electrical background (Elec engineeing at university, a long time ago) so I'm not entirely without skill - just lacking experience in this particular area. none of the conversations ive had with regular electricians so far has left me feeling in any way confident that they have any more idea about this generator setup than I do.

all this is why i thought i'd see if there was anyone on here with some experience that can point me in the right direction. I was hoping for something more welcoming/helpful than "call an electrician". :icon_confused:

Good. With an attitude like that we can close this thread now since you know so much:censored:

·
Premium Member
18,605 Posts
I can point you here:

http://www.mtspowerproducts.com/

They have a voltage regulator retrofits that can be integrated into just about any generator made. They can help you. Call them and ask for Willie.
Please watch the time when you call and remember that we are -5 GMT here in Florida. Dont call them at 4:45 and expect more than 5 minutes of the guys time.

For those of you that are into Guardian generators, they can help you connect one into a regular ATS.

They do a lot of export business. Im sure they can help you out.

This is not really for your application but is a cool selector switch for future reference: http://www.mtspowerproducts.com/rel...tage_Selector_Switches/vss3p0800-brochure.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks bob, jrannis. and no, ive not seen an outback restaurant in Sydney - though I have been to a restaurant in the outback :)

Ive found some very helpful folks on another forum, so wont further put out any of the very busy people on here.

“Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards.."
you said it, mate.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If the resturant was in sydney,
then it cant be an outback resturant.
Sydney not even close to outback.
Sydney is to australia what new york is to usa.
BIG SMOKE.

I can't help you,myself. I am just learning foreign voltages. Look up the mfg. for the wiring diagram.Nice to know that there is still a lot of real estate on the planet! (do you have Outback restaurants in Sidney?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts