Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can I get some input on what generators to use and which ones to stay away from. are battery heaters and oil heaters used often? I am going to be installing a 20 to 30 kva 3 phase 120/208 unit. guardian seems to have good pricing but usually you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
31,896 Posts
Based on the size I have little input, but can tell you a few basics.

Battery heaters are area dependent COLD and they are a good idea, if the unit is diesel even more important.

Block heaters are also necessary with diesel and a added benefit if you live in a cold area.

Pretty much, we install Onan, Baldor, Cat, Cummins which use a variety of engines in these smaller sizes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put in Generac diesel powered machines, mostly 60kw, powerer by 5 cyl john Deere engines they are good machines. These units have battery chargers and block heaters, to me both are necessary equipment. When the engine starts it has 15 seconds before it goes under full load, dont want to do that to a cold engine. As far as Guardian series I have heard that there is little or no factory support if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Generac Guardians are cheap but unless you are an authorized dealer they will NOT help you if something goes wrong. They will leave you hanging out to dry and looking like the jerk in the customers eyes. I personally have first hand experience with this and will NEVER install another Generac Guardian system. The unit I'm speaking of blew an oil gasket after 6 months or so after being installed and shut down during the first power outage leaving the customer ( a cancer patient) with no power. After a while the poco's power came back on at partial voltage and the ATS solenoid coil literally almost caught on fire, smoking up the place. No factory support what so-ever, never again. :mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.