Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my workers has experience in about a dozen of them. Is there a place to buy direct or do I always have to go through a supply-house? We did one at a firehouse down the shore as a sub.

I am getting requests from my website for it. Any wisdom to share?

Thanks in advance.

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
One of my workers has experience in about a dozen of them. Is there a place to buy direct or do I always have to go through a supply-house? We did one at a firehouse down the shore as a sub.

I am getting requests from my website for it. Any wisdom to share?

Thanks in advance.
Norwall.com is where we purchase our Gens.

We just did a 30Kw and we invested in a Bobcat to place it on the pad:thumbsup:

·
Can't Remember
10,140 Posts
One of the obstacles to overcome is logistics. How do you take delivery of these and how do you get them to the site and install them? If you have a good relationship with the supply house, you may not be able to get them at any better prices even if you are a dealer yourself and they will most likely handle the delivery. Buying from them helps with delivery damage too, you don't have to deal with it. If you have a large shop with full time warehouse people already and gear to handle it, you are in good shape.

The dealership allows you to have better access to information about these units and to be able to do warranty work if you choose. Trying to get access to parts without all the documentation and access to manufacturers websites is tough. Plenty of places online sell all the parts and units, but unless you know what you want exactly and the part number, you're lost. Some parts look the same but have changed over time, etc.

No reason not to sell them if you can pair up with a decent gas installer and do the electrical and site portion right. From there the decision is whether to offer annual maintenance and offer warranty and repair. Annual maintenance can be some extra money and keeps you in touch with the customer. May bring other work for you, who knows. The warranty and repair end means classes and investment in parts kits and tools. How far do you want to get in?

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
One of the obstacles to overcome is logistics. How do you take delivery of these and how do you get them to the site and install them? If you have a good relationship with the supply house, you may not be able to get them at any better prices even if you are a dealer yourself and they will most likely handle the delivery. Buying from them helps with delivery damage too, you don't have to deal with it. If you have a large shop with full time warehouse people already and gear to handle it, you are in good shape.

The dealership allows you to have better access to information about these units and to be able to do warranty work if you choose. Trying to get access to parts without all the documentation and access to manufacturers websites is tough. Plenty of places online sell all the parts and units, but unless you know what you want exactly and the part number, you're lost. Some parts look the same but have changed over time, etc.

No reason not to sell them if you can pair up with a decent gas installer and do the electrical and site portion right. From there the decision is whether to offer annual maintenance and offer warranty and repair. Annual maintenance can be some extra money and keeps you in touch with the customer. May bring other work for you, who knows. The warranty and repair end means classes and investment in parts kits and tools. How far do you want to get in?
Once you go over 20Kw units get heavier and bigger, one thing to overcome that obstacle for us was to invest in a Bobcat with for attachments, We used to rent them, That thing can pick up up to 2500lbs depending on the model and its cheaper than renting a crane IMHO, So if you set all your duckies in order when it comes to logistics then you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Can't Remember
10,140 Posts
I haven't sold a liquid cooled yet, but know the crane or something will be needed for sure. Some sort of lifting harness so the sides don't get damaged.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
whoever it is that owns the Bobcat work that thing on the side make some bucks, find a decent operator and start working that on some construction sites. find a trucking or escavating broker I can send your operator on the Bobcat out on jobs.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
whoever it is that owns the Bobcat work that thing on the side make some bucks, find a decent operator and start working that on some construction sites. find a trucking or escavating broker I can send your operator on the Bobcat out on jobs.
no doubt, otherwise how may generators will you have to sell to pay for it? everyone thinks its cool to own equipment but realistically its a waste of money unless its working all the time.. id rather have that money in my pocket rather than sitting out in the yard depreciating.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I've worked for all sorts of self proclaimed genny dealers in the past, and have seen how the #'s (and aggravation) crunch for them.

These days anyone can go to HD, Lowes, or on line and beat out anything i'd amount to south of 100 annual sales

2, all the gas guys are in competition to 'maintain' them now, regardless of it's origin.

So why bother dealing anything, I'm an electrician, get your genny and i'll make it into your home or biz

Next big storm outage , you're on your own

~CS~

·
Can't Remember
10,140 Posts
A couple of the big plumbing outfits became all in ones and started doing electrical. Generators came next. One does the service, the other is starting, bought a couple of maint kits from me this week. I'll stay mostly on the service end and grab a few installs where I can. Mine aren't the low cost leaders and I don't care. I know they are good.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I've worked for all sorts of self proclaimed genny dealers in the past, and have seen how the #'s (and aggravation) crunch for them.

These days anyone can go to HD, Lowes, or on line and beat out anything i'd amount to south of 100 annual sales

2, all the gas guys are in competition to 'maintain' them now, regardless of it's origin.

So why bother dealing anything, I'm an electrician, get your genny and i'll make it into your home or biz

~CS~
As a dealer for Generac I can match HD or Lowes price along with providing a battery at a lower price than Wal Mart. As fro service agreements if I install it the gas guy is not going to maintain it I will at $248.00 annually. Plus I am a warranty service provider so I can take care of warranty issues. Generators are quickly becoming a profitable division.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts

~CS~
I gotta agree with you.

I was talking to my friend who works at the ProServices section at Lowes. He says they are trying to get into small business sales to compete with supply houses. I asked him about Generac generations, he says they sell boatloads.

The starting price is at or less than Norwals, then you get 10% off for signing up for the Lowes card and then 5% off of all purchases with that card, including the generator. And for $69 Lowes will ship it anywhere with a flatbed and place the generator anywhere you want with a spider. I hope you can return that Bobcat :thumbup::laughing:

·
Can't Remember
10,140 Posts
I think the price of the generators themselves are all pretty close, regardless who sells them. I think the big retailers online play with free shipping etc.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Look, i'm not about to warranty anyone else's lowball decision , which is exactly where Generac is at (why do you think they're referred to as genercrap?)

Nor am i (or any of you) going to beat the big box store's Or internet shtick

Been there, done that, thx

~CS~

1 - 20 of 53 Posts