Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
If I had a generator tied to my electrical system, I would want to be able to heat water, dry clothes, run my A/C, turn on my heater, or cook, but I'd hate to pay extra to be able to do them all at once as I'm capable of manual load control. Putting selective loads on a separate panel would not allow this.
I agree and thought this code change should not have gone in. To me it is a design decision.

·
Registered
Project manager at AV electrical systems
3 Posts
Rumor is that there was an issue from ecmag or some other mag, that stated you can only back up a 200 amp house with and equal generator cable of handling 200 amps. Anyone here of this
You mean hear of this?! I’ve installed many generators as a matter of fact I’m doing one right now and the service is 200 amp we are putting in a 20 kw generator with a 100 amp main breaker just like you are. Nothing wrong with that at all. They might just not be able to run their HVAC systems, electric hot water, electric, stove with all four burners and oven on, and electric, dryer at the same time! I can’t tell you how many times I have put an amprobe on a 200 amp service and had a reading of no more than 11 amps! The chances of everything running at the same time are slim and you might just have to tell them in the event of a power failure that they will have to refrain from using their HVAC or use those modules that regulate everything from running at the same time! Generac and Kolher both have the modules now.

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,951 Posts
You mean hear of this?! I’ve installed many generators as a matter of fact I’m doing one right now and the service is 200 amp we are putting in a 20 kw generator with a 100 amp main breaker just like you are. Nothing wrong with that at all. They might just not be able to run their HVAC systems, electric hot water, electric, stove with all four burners and oven on, and electric, dryer at the same time! I can’t tell you how many times I have put an amprobe on a 200 amp service and had a reading of no more than 11 amps! The chances of everything running at the same time are slim and you might just have to tell them in the event of a power failure that they will have to refrain from using their HVAC or use those modules that regulate everything from running at the same time! Generac and Kolher both have the modules now.
Please see the link below. A profile is required here at Electrician Talk. Please make sure to include occupation and general location.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.