Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
im a german electrican whos trying to move to Phoenix Az to work as an electrician.
At first i want to apologise for my bad english (im trying to improve it every day) and tell you a bit about my person.
Im a 24 years old electrician from Germany with about 5 years of experience i residential electrical systems. I was thinking about moving to the U.S. for a few years and now i started to join the green card lotterie.
I know there is not a high chance of winning at first try, but i still think it cant hurt to inform myself about how it is to work as an electrician in the US, especially in Arizona (maybe texas or california too).
I know that i will probably have to work as an apprentice at first, cause i dont know much about the electrical systems in the US and cause of that i will have to learn the differences to german systems.
So my questions are:
-do i need a license to work as an electrician in Arizona?
-how much can i earn as an apprentice and after that as an experienced electrician?
-do i need to work as an apprentice for years? or is it maybe enough for 6-12 month if im familiar with all the things after that?
-how is the job market for electricians in the US especially in Phoenix AZ?
-I was already looking for jobs at craigslist and there are a few, but maybe there are to much applicants on one position?
-How do you think are my chances to get a job as a german whos english is not perfect? (im shure my english will emprove really fast and it wouldnt be a problem to me if i had to look for a job for a few month, cause i have enough saving)
-are there better places to find a job then Arizona,Texas or California? (keep in mind that i would like to live in a state with nice climate, cause thats one of the reasons why im moving)

Im absolutely willing to work overtimes and maybe even to work for free for a week or so, so that i can show the employer my work skills...

just share your thoughts with me, thanks for your help

· Registered
271 Posts
First off, check this site for links to the licensing board in each state. This will tell you if a license is even needed where you are thinking to reside.
http://www.licensedelectrician.com/Electrician_License.htm#Al

Everybody considers what climate they like for themselves. What is a nice climate for you? Sounds like you like it Hot and dry.

As far as benefits, that will be per company, size of the company, and local norms. You might be able to get insurance, (a smaller company might not), a 1 week vacation and 5 holidays, and maybe a few sick days. The wage is dependant on your skills, what the man on the street is willing to go down to, and the unemployment level for that area.

With only residential skills, you may need to get further training before you can be brought on as a full journeyperson. How are you as far as a service worker? In my state, if you can pass the test, and have certified documents from your country or employers, you can sit for the test.

Realize that you will likely stop learning as much as a licensed J-man than as an apprentice. No one wants to teach a journeyman how to do something that they should have learned as an apprentice. Just saying.

Whatever you decide, good luck and :thumbsup: Welcome to the forum!

· Sparks fly from my finger
2,526 Posts
You should get into industrial if you have the desire. More and more equipment is coming from Germany and IEC style of equipment is common now.

If you have the desire to learn you will do just fine here. Just knowing about the trade to begin with gives you a running start even if you learned in another county.

· Premium Member
20,945 Posts
If I was a German electrician, I'd try to get a factory electrician job (where much precision equipment is necessarily German), or try to get a field service job for a German manufacturer. I happen to know Heidelberg and Teuchenhagen are both doing national recruiting for field service techs.

· THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,413 Posts
when you finally get here start taking a ton of night classes Industrial electrical systems.heating air conditioning anything you get your hands on.if you want to get residential experience hook up with Habitat for Humanity and donate as much time as you can with them.
good luck and welcome to the u.s.a

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
First off, check this site for links to the licensing board in each state. This will tell you if a license is even needed where you are thinking to reside.
http://www.licensedelectrician.com/E...License.htm#Al
in this list it says that i only need to license in arizona as an contractor do i understand that right?

As far as benefits, that will be per company, size of the company, and local norms. You might be able to get insurance, (a smaller company might not), a 1 week vacation and 5 holidays, and maybe a few sick days.
Im sorry but i dont understand whats the difference between 1 week vacation and 5 holidays, could you or someone else explain that to me?

With only residential skills, you may need to get further training before you can be brought on as a full journeyperson. How are you as far as a service worker? In my state, if you can pass the test, and have certified documents from your country or employers, you can sit for the test.
My experience is not ony based on residentials, i think it will help if i tell you all i bit about what i was doing the last years for my company...

At first i have finished a 3,5 year apprenticeship, which is the normal and only accepted way to become a licensed electrician in germany. after that i worked another 2 years at the same company where i first started to do service works like troubleshooting and fixing and also i got some small single familie homes to istall all the electrical systems
(tv,internet, telephone, 230V/400V and smart home systems wich allow you to control nearly everything in the house by smartphone or a display in the wall).
At the moment im finishing a ~10.000m² officebuilding where im also resposible for the work of 3 other electricians and 2 apprentices.
I also have a license which allows me to educate apprentices and give them their license.

I know that my german licenses are probably not accepted in the US, but i think it will help to bring them translated together with my employers reference to the job interviews.

also i already ordered books about the electrical systems in the us to learn about the main differences before i finally move to arizona.

You should get into industrial if you have the desire. More and more equipment is coming from Germany and IEC style of equipment is common now.
I dont really have a lot of experience in industrial systems. A bit in troubleshooting on machines like cnc and stuff, but i dont think its enough to work independent and i dont want to do a full apprenticeship for a few years again.

when you finally get here start taking a ton of night classes Industrial electrical systems.heating air conditioning anything you get your hands on.
so where can i find those classes? in community colleges? i dont really know much about your school systems....

big thanks to all of you so far, would still be happy about every comment

· Registered
100 Posts
industrielle elektrische

Willkommen in Amerika, mein Freund,

Bitte entschuldigen Sie die Deutsch, ich bin mit einem Web-basierten Englisch auf Deutsch Übersetzer.

Obwohl Sie Wohnerlebnis in Deutschland haben, kann dieser nicht für Wohn Codes in den USA, oder speziell Arizona sein.

Ich möchte Sie ermutigen, industrielle elektrische Arbeit zu verfolgen. Durch die Globalisierung der industriellen Maschinen, nicht nur die USA importieren Maschinen aus Europa, exportieren wir auch Maschinen nach Europa. Ihre mehrsprachigen Fähigkeiten und Erfahrungen mit europäischen elektrischen Standards haben großen Wert auf viele Unternehmen in den USA.

Wieder, Welcome</SPAN>
----------------------------------

Welcome to America my friend,
Please excuse the German, I am using a web-based English to German translator.
Although you have residential experience in Germany, that may not be applicable to residential codes in the USA, or specifically Arizona.
I would encourage you to pursue INDUSTRIAL Electrical work. Through the globalization of industrial machinery, not only is the USA importing machines from Europe, we are also exporting machines to Europe. Your multi-lingual abilities and experience with European electrical standards have great value to many companies in the USA.
Again, Welcome

· Senile Member
373 Posts
Wages in Arizona in the residential market are not so good, and instead of learning better English skills, you would need to learn Spanish.

I was stationed in Germany for 3 years while in the Army and I think you have a beautiful country, great beer,and excellent schnitzel.

I've also spent part of my life in Arizona and you are in for a BIG change if you decide to move there. Heat up your oven and place your kopf in there for a minute. Dry and Hot.

Take the advice many are giving you and try to go into industrial. I believe it would be a better opportunity for you,with better pay. Grosse geld.

· Sparks fly from my finger
2,526 Posts
I dont really have a lot of experience in industrial systems. A bit in troubleshooting on machines like cnc and stuff, but i dont think its enough to work independent and i dont want to do a full apprenticeship for a few years again.
It sounds like you have some knowledge about a lot of stuff. You will be able to do whatever you want.

And holidays here are not vacations. When someone says holiday think Christmas or Easter or all the other occasions we have for not working.

It would be handy to have a guy that could understand all the German terms that don't translate to English.

· Registered
271 Posts
It really appears that unless you want to be a contractor yourself, that you may not be required to have any licensing. This is not completely unheard of here.

A weeks vacation is normally thought to be 5 days of full pay normally taken consecutively.
A Holiday is normally the day of or the day preceding or following a national holiday. Such as but not limited to July4 Independence day, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Labor day, Martin Luther King day, etc. Which you get full pay for not working.

A sick day is a floating paid day that you can take somewhat at your discretion. Meant to be taken during sickness.

I agree with the idea that industrial is the way for you to go. What you will need to learn is the color coding that is used as a standard in AZ. After browsing this forum, I realize that the colors I was trained to use, are not the same across the USA. But there should be a standard that you will have to know and use.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as I know Germany is one of the best developed nations in the world. Why would you need to come here for a job...Sprechen sie Deutch?
yes you're right, our economy is doing great. I dont "need" to go to the US for a job, my current job is fun and well paid but i want to make new experiences and also i like your country and the people very much.
Maybe i will go back to germany after 1 or 2 years, maybe i will stay forever. Time will tell.And yes, i speak german.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.