Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here wiring entire houses with EVERYTHING from the HD? And I mean EVERYTHING?

I like my SH, but dang if everything they sell isn't 5-10% more expensive! Wire, panels, breakers - the only thing I haven't checked is the price difference in Carlon boxes and P&S boxes. I'm partial to P&S, but that could change in a hot minute if the price is right.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done my share of biz with HD

They've great $$$'s , but lack one essential element....

~C:laughing:S~
I could care less about that. I'm only concerned with the price I'm getting my materials for.

Not like I'm gonna ask them how to wire up a light! :laughing:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Things must be a might bit of different in your neck of the woods. HD is always at least 50 to 60% more expensive than my electrical wholesalers. A 200 amp single phase meter base is 78 bucks there while my SH is $48.......a 10' mast is 75 bucks at HD and 40 at my SH.

Panels and breakers are even worse. A Siemens 100 A 32/64 cir panel is $215 at HD and the SH is 99 bucks.

I would go broke if I was doing any work with their prices.

·
Registered
39 Posts
2.5" galv is $86 here, meter pan $93 plus tax. HD meter is $90 I think but don't like the lugs. Not sure about the galv

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Things must be a might bit of different in your neck of the woods. HD is always at least 50 to 60% more expensive than my electrical wholesalers. A 200 amp single phase meter base is 78 bucks there while my SH is $48.......a 10' mast is 75 bucks at HD and 40 at my SH.

Panels and breakers are even worse. A Siemens 100 A 32/64 cir panel is $215 at HD and the SH is 99 bucks.

I would go broke if I was doing any work with their prices.
It could be regional, and you're right, there are somethings (like meter bases) that are much cheaper at the SH. A lot of stuff for commercial work you basically have to get at the SH as well.

But just regular old 14/2, 12/2, Homeline panels, breakers, ect. They are cheaper, trust me. Cheap enough that I'm ready to completely give them 90% of my business, and only use the SH when absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Peter D was right.

I just recently compared numbers on a house rewire, and I'm done. I shoulda listened a while back.

·
Petulant Amateur
Poor electrician, excellent bull chitter.
24,298 Posts
It could be regional, and you're right, there are somethings (like meter bases) that are much cheaper at the SH. A lot of stuff for commercial work you basically have to get at the SH as well.

But just regular old 14/2, 12/2, Homeline panels, breakers, ect. They are cheaper, trust me. Cheap enough that I'm ready to completely give them 90% of my business, and only use the SH when absolutely necessary.
I hope your SH screws you supremely when you go there to buy something HD doesn't carry - "What's that, you need a contactor? Bend over, this will only hurt for a minute".

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope your SH screws you supremely when you go there to buy something HD doesn't carry - "What's that, you need a contactor? Bend over, this will only hurt for a minute".
Keep holding on to your dear supply house. Their screwing you already, and you don't even know it.

Compare the prices yourself.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,298 Posts
Keep holding on to your dear supply house. Their screwing you already, and you don't even know it.

Compare the prices yourself.
HD will screw you on dimmers, smoke detectors, BX connectors, light bulbs, recessed trims, split bolts, HDMI cable, Cat 5, Cat 6, LVT, data products, plaster rings, 4 X 4 boxes, coax, ballasts, troffers...

...and that's just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HD will screw you on dimmers, smoke detectors, BX connectors, light bulbs, recessed trims, split bolts, HDMI cable, Cat 5, Cat 6, LVT, data products, plaster rings, 4 X 4 boxes, coax, ballasts, troffers...

...and that's just off the top of my head.
Then I suggest you buy that stuff some where else.

I'm ready to start buying everything from 3 different places, just to get everything at the best prices. My supply house can't even sell me fire caulk & silicone for the same price as HD.....

And btw, mc connectors are not cheaper. They are about $1.50 - 2.50 more per case at your supply house. Check it out, you'll see.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They actually open up at 6 am here. Real nice if you've got to get an early jump on things.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,298 Posts
They actually open up at 6 am here. Real nice if you've got to get an early jump on things.
That's the only reason I use HD - convenience.

And I buy Halo cans there. When the rails fall off, I don't screw around with them. I just grab a fresh one. Then I wait until I have a couple of boxes of effed Halo cans and take them back.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MH, you're obsessed with material costs. My biggest priority is being on the job and getting the work done. Saving a buck on a box of connectors is meaningless to me.
That's crazy talk! Saving a $1 here, $2 there really adds up. If you buy materials 4-6 days a week, think how much you're throwing away each year.

Getting the job done is only half the game. Saving every last dollar in the process is where it's really at.

Reactions: 51360

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
MH, you're obsessed with material costs. My biggest priority is being on the job and getting the work done. Saving a buck on a box of connectors is meaningless to me.
I agree. I seem to remember MH on here talking about returning every little item he had left over, cutting every job to the bone etc etc....

All in this thread....http://www.electriciantalk.com/f15/good-decisions-last-year-84650/

If you have to be using all these tactics to make enough money at this to be worthwhile to you then you may need to look at what you're charging.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,298 Posts
That's crazy talk! Saving a $1 here, $2 there really adds up. If you buy materials 4-6 days a week, think how much you're throwing away each year.

Getting the job done is only half the game. Saving every last dollar in the process is where it's really at.
I believe in completion, getting in and out of the job ASAP. That's 99% of the game for me. I don't have time for bargain shopping.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,298 Posts
I agree. I seem to remember MH on here talking about returning every little item he had left over, cutting every job to the bone etc etc....

All in this thread....http://www.electriciantalk.com/f15/good-decisions-last-year-84650/

If you have to be using all these tactics to make enough money at this to be worthwhile to you then you may need to look at what you're charging.
Was that the thread about a guy wanting to raise switch boxes by 3" to save wire?

1 - 20 of 166 Posts