Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 166 Posts

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Peter D was right.

I just recently compared numbers on a house rewire, and I'm done. I shoulda listened a while back.
I was right about something? :eek::laughing:

For me, HD is all about the convenience. Time is money, and when your labor costs 1, 2, 3 or more dollars a minute, that quickly washes out the marginal extra cost of material at HD.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you have to be using all these tactics to make enough money at this to be worthwhile to you then you may need to look at what you're charging.
I disagree. I charge as much as everyone else around here does, and more than most of the small shops I compete against.

Finding every chance possible to pull a dollar out of a nickel is good business.
I believe in completion, getting in and out of the job ASAP. That's 99% of the game for me. I don't have time for bargain shopping.
There's always time for bargain shopping. The next time you do a decent size job, pair it up against 2 supply houses and HD. You'll be surprised.

You don't owe that supply house anything, it's just business.

Reactions: 51360

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
HD will screw you on dimmers, smoke detectors, BX connectors, light bulbs, recessed trims, split bolts, HDMI cable, Cat 5, Cat 6, LVT, data products, plaster rings, 4 X 4 boxes, coax, ballasts, troffers...

...and that's just off the top of my head.
I went into HD for a box of dotty plates, I needed a few on a small kitchen remodel... this HD didn't sell them by the box, but the did have 2 packs, yes dotty plates in a blister-pack of 2, for $1.68. of course I bot 10 packs and finished the job but I H8 HD.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I disagree. I charge as much as everyone else around here does, and more than most of the small shops I compete against.
There's always time for bargain shopping. The next time you do a decent size job, pair it up against 2 supply houses and HD. You'll be surprised.
I'm glad that you charge the same as everybody else BUT is it enough to cover your cost of doing business and still leave a profit for your time. If you're just trying to squeeze as much bottom line out of your dollar as you can then kudos to you.

I agree to an extent on the bargain shopping IF , and only IF, it doesn't take time away from actually getting the jobs done. The bargain shopping is exactly why large outfits of all types all over the world use a purchaser.

MH, you're really getting it from the Canadian contingent tonight. :eek:
:laughing: No offense intended though. Just voicing an alternate point of view.

It must be nice to be from Canada and not need to worry about money, huh? :jester:
Its all the free healthcare we get:laughing::laughing:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Was that the thread about a guy wanting to raise switch boxes by 3" to save wire?
I think I missed that particular thread or part of the conversation.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That's crazy talk! Saving a $1 here, $2 there really adds up. If you buy materials 4-6 days a week, think how much you're throwing away each year.

Getting the job done is only half the game. Saving every last dollar in the process is where it's really at.

I do as little business as possible with HD, while you are cutting your supply house throat by trying to save a penny, HD is cutting your throat at the other end of the store by selling the same services that you seem to be offering and offering financing.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My SH typically beats HD on everything but Romex and Panels, but the service is far superior, they have will call and I prefer to support small business

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
My SH typically beats HD on everything but Romex and Panels, but the service is far superior, they have will call and I prefer to support small business
Mine does too, but it's also staffed with unhelpful, rude people. As their attitude increases, my support of them decreases.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Yes very convenient. Have you asked your SH about getting on a panel program? We are set up with several suppliers and they are competitive with the big boxes on panels and circuit breakers.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yes very convenient. Have you asked your SH about getting on a panel program? We are set up with several suppliers and they are competitive with the big boxes on panels and circuit breakers.
Getting set up on the rebate program was harder for me than it should've been. And I still wasn't seeing the numbers I wanted to see.

The only guys I know that are really getting a great deal from that, is the ones wiring several houses a week.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Even though the panel is cheaper at HD I still buy them from my SH, the HD panels one have one ground/neutral bar where as the SH panels have 4

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
it all depends on how much business you're doing with them. I just bought a 30/60 from my supply shop for 64 dollars. Try showing a little loyalty for once. Maybe they'll give you Better prices. ...m
I'm in there 3-4 times a week. I spend enough to pay my mortgage there (or more) each week.

What else does somebody have to do to get better prices?

.......change where you buy your stuff from.

21 - 40 of 166 Posts