Electrician Talk banner

41 - 60 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,548 Posts
Anybody here wiring entire houses with EVERYTHING from the HD? And I mean EVERYTHING?

I like my SH, but dang if everything they sell isn't 5-10% more expensive! Wire, panels, breakers - the only thing I haven't checked is the price difference in Carlon boxes and P&S boxes. I'm partial to P&S, but that could change in a hot minute if the price is right.
They are a retail place so, if you are happy paying for that, go for it.
My wholesaler is double digit margin less.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I don't mind Home Depot, but I don't buy as much as you all do.

I am from west of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, so I go to Home Depot in St. Albert. It's a huge store and if you get to know the staff they are very helpful. Some are retired tradespeople and know their stuff. You can also buy on line, get them to pick it and get someone else to get it for you. They also deliver, but I have never tried that.

EECOL and Siemens supply houses in Edmonton are not open on the weekend, but I won't buy at Home Depot for convenience. Quality products at a fair price is what's important to me, and to my customers.

Part of providing a quality service has little to do with speed and cheap products and more about good workmanship and sound business practices, which includes proper planning.

Borgi

·
Premium Member
18,548 Posts
It could be regional, and you're right, there are somethings (like meter bases) that are much cheaper at the SH. A lot of stuff for commercial work you basically have to get at the SH as well.

But just regular old 14/2, 12/2, Homeline panels, breakers, ect. They are cheaper, trust me. Cheap enough that I'm ready to completely give them 90% of my business, and only use the SH when absolutely necessary.
You are getting suckered into their loss leaders.
I see what they do with very common items but, if you purchase all of your commodity items from them you will feel it in the fittings , devices, and boxes,
I only buy there in an emergency.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You are getting suckered into their loss leaders.
I see what they do with very common items but, if you purchase all of your commodity items from them you will feel it in the fittings , devices, and boxes,
I only buy there in an emergency.
That's why you need to shop and find who's got the rock bottom price for whatever it is you need. Putting these guys up against each other is the best way to keep track of that.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Suppliers are there to help contractors but at the end of the day, they're in it for the money. Don't ever forget that.

·
Petulant Amateur
Poor electrician, excellent bull chitter.
24,298 Posts
I just love wandering around the aisles looking for an orange apron to get some rolling stairs so I can buy a shower trim. It's even better when some dude waves little orange flags while another dude drives a forklift. I don't get that kind of entertainment at the SH.

41 - 60 of 166 Posts