Electrician Talk banner

81 - 100 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
What's most important?

I would assume a quality product for your customers, at a price that you can make money.

Essentially, if you can get that quality product, for a less expensive price, why would you not buy that?

Limiting yourself to ONE retailer seems stupid. This is capitalism and whomever gives me the best price for the best product gets the business for that particular item.

I mean, I don't own a business, but that seems like it makes the most sense..

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Ive always wondered why that is. Is it because HD buys in bulk?
Big Time , but worse than most realize Meadow :(

They'll offer manufacturers the lions share of their biz via stocking their product(s) sea to shining freakin sea....:thumbup:

Once the manufacturer realizes a substantial profit , HD being no dopes will play it against them insisting on them cutting a % for them :whistling2:

The end result often being evident when one views a HD part vs. the very same non HD part side by side, and/or taking a hammer to it to find say, plastic parts where metal ones once were. :censored:

Methinks Macs new world order actually started @ HD....:laughing:~CS~:jester:

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Not to mention all the SH HD has put under.
That hasn't been the case in my area. A few suppliers closed because they were overpriced and mismanaged, but the majority have been able to survive and thrive despite HD being on very corner.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,241 Posts
I go to HD to pick up a few items on the fly. I take them to the self serve checkout. One item doesn't have a SKU number. I go back and get one with a SKU number. I return to the checkout. EVERY item I enter says "Please wait for attendant". The attendant is nowhere to be found. I ask an apron dude walking by if he knows where the attendant is. Five minutes later, there is still no attendant. There are no real, living, breathing cashiers. I leave my stuff there and go to work, making do with what I have.

Complete waste of time.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I shop the big box stores as well as the SH. When I do, I ALWAYS transfer the materials to a box, milk crate, 5 gallon bucket or another container. I'm not about to walk into a clients job carrying HD bags. Doe anyone else do the same?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I go to HD to pick up a few items on the fly. I take them to the self serve checkout. One item doesn't have a SKU number. I go back and get one with a SKU number. I return to the checkout. EVERY item I enter says "Please wait for attendant". The attendant is nowhere to be found. I ask an apron dude walking by if he knows where the attendant is. Five minutes later, there is still no attendant. There are no real, living, breathing cashiers. I leave my stuff there and go to work, making do with what I have.

Complete waste of time.
Where in Perky Nipples, Canada, are you shopping? ;)

I have never had any issues in St. Albert, Alberta. :thumbsup:

Borgi

·
Petulant Amateur
24,241 Posts
I shop the big box stores as well as the SH. When I do, I ALWAYS transfer the materials to a box, milk crate, 5 gallon bucket or another container. I'm not about to walk into a clients job carrying HD bags. Doe anyone else do the same?
Absolutely :) .

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Anybody here wiring entire houses with EVERYTHING from the HD? And I mean EVERYTHING?

I like my SH, but dang if everything they sell isn't 5-10% more expensive! Wire, panels, breakers - the only thing I haven't checked is the price difference in Carlon boxes and P&S boxes. I'm partial to P&S, but that could change in a hot minute if the price is right.

I think you can will call the crap at HD now.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,241 Posts
Where in Perky Nipples, Canada, are you shopping? ;)

I have never had any issues in St. Albert, Alberta. :thumbsup:

Borgi
I was in the Stalbert one this week. Asked for a blank face GFI. All I got was a blank face :( . Picked them up at EWEL, no problem.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I pose as a DYIer @ HD when they have lectrical stuff on display....

....because i get my kicks outta their response(s) .....

~CS~

·
Banned
39,722 Posts

Complete waste of time.
They've got cameras every 10' in HD 99.....they're probably all in the break room watching....drawing straws....:whistling2:~CS~:laughing:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
All the more reason to support a real supplier, one that stocks everything I need.
I agree, but you can shop from home and plan for one trip and buy quality products at fair prices without buying chit due to poor planning.

Next time you're in St. Albert Home Depot, seek out the big guy in the electrical section. He can always help, or tell you exactly where to buy what you need.

Tell him I sent you! :thumbsup: :laughing:

Borgi

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
All the more reason to support a real supplier, one that stocks everything I need.
You'll never find that. 3 large national SH's here in town, and I have to call first to find out who has what.

At least with HD & Lowe's if they don't have it, all you have to do is drive around the corner and check out the next one.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
You'll never find that. 3 large national SH's here in town, and I have to call first to find out who has what.

At least with HD & Lowe's if they don't have it, all you have to do is drive around the corner and check out the next one.
Yeah, supply houses are lame. I'll never forget the time I went into one and they didn't have…get this…deep 4" squares and CR-20 receptacles. :rolleyes: This was the kind of supplier with the big 100,000 square foot central warehouse that replenishes all the branches every day. :rolleyes::no:

Oh, and get the HD app on your phone. No need to drive anywhere to check.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,241 Posts

Then you have chitty supply houses.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
What's most important?

I would assume a quality product for your customers, at a price that you can make money.

Essentially, if you can get that quality product, for a less expensive price, why would you not buy that?

Limiting yourself to ONE retailer seems stupid. This is capitalism and whomever gives me the best price for the best product gets the business for that particular item.

I mean, I don't own a business, but that seems like it makes the most sense..
You're gonna go far in life kid, keep it up. :thumbsup:

Check out every place in town, keep track of what your paying, adjust your material orders accordingly.

The guys at the SH counter all know you by name, laugh & joke like your old friends - but don't let this fool you - they do that with everybody that walks into that store. Good business is finding opportunities to lower your costs, and keeping your spending tight.

81 - 100 of 166 Posts