Electrician Talk banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Banned
202 Posts
Went through my year end a couple months ago, my service guys spent a total of around 50 bucks for the year at HD. We do the odd basement, reno or service change but I think for myself I would only walk into HD for something electrical is if I needed some cleaning products, doorway mats for the shop or anything else not related to electrical at that time.

If you residential guys are getting customers comparing your pricing to what they can get it for at big orange then maybe it's time to switch to flat rate or don't list the price for every single item. :no:

·
Petulant Amateur
24,241 Posts
Customers, especially in residential, quite often frequent big box stores like Home Depot. How would you justify charging them prices from your beloved supply house that are higher then they seen at Home Depot. Especially if it's the same exact product.

Times have changed, we have to keep up. :thumbsup:

Borhi

If you reveal material costs on your quotes, change order requests and invoices, you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you reveal material costs on your quotes, change order requests and invoices, you're doing it wrong.
I don't reveal my material costs on quotes, nobody does that anymore.

If I buy material for my customers, and invoice them for it, I most certainly tell them. Being honest and up front with my customers is important to me.

Borgi

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
Oh man, I am so glad that I steer clear of residential. The situation Borgi just presented would irk the hell out of me. Trying to justify my pricing to a "know it all" homeowner.

It would be jail time for me....assault charges.....maybe homicide.:laughing:
It's a common affair for many of us who dwell in resi hell Rollie. I've FR'd @ 200 a can w/ basic baffle, and they'll ring the HD six pack up on their Iphones before i can spit it outta my :censored:beak.....~CS~

·
Petulant Amateur
24,241 Posts
Someone said that the Canadian guys are slamming HD and there's some truth to that. The fact is that I don't want profits going to Atlanta. I'm not anti-American, I just like to see the profits stay closer to home.

In my previous life, in the sales biz, the supply houses were my customers. They know how to make money. If they didn't, they wouldn't be in business. They make good profit off of low dollar items, the stuff you don't even notice.

One year I sold over $100,000.00 in fasteners. There's a reason the wholesalers have fastener displays up front when you walk in. While you're grumbling about the cost of a roll of wire, they just hosed you on a box of wood screws.

I don't care. Everybody's gotta make a buck.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,241 Posts
I don't reveal my material costs on quotes, nobody does that anymore.

If I buy material for my customers, and invoice them for it, I most certainly tell them. Being honest and up front with my customers is important to me.

Borgi
I was paying over twenty bucks per trim on jobs for one of my GC's. I went shopping and found trims he loves and they're seven bucks each including bulb. My last job had 56 trims. If you think I'm passing those savings on to the customer, you gotta be crazy :eek: .

·
Registered
167 Posts
Went through my year end a couple months ago, my service guys spent a total of around 50 bucks for the year at HD. We do the odd basement, reno or service change but I think for myself I would only walk into HD for something electrical is if I needed some cleaning products, doorway mats for the shop or anything else not related to electrical at that time.

If you residential guys are getting customers comparing your pricing to what they can get it for at big orange then maybe it's time to switch to flat rate or don't list the price for every single item. :no:

Thanks for posting this Batfink! I flat rate and 99.99% of my materials come from the supply house. I never have issues of poor quality, missing components, etc. from them, this is not true for HD and Lowes in my experience. The store manager at my SH takes care of searching out the best prices from his suppliers so I, and the rest of the EC's in the area, don't have to waste our time running around trying to save a dollar on materials.
Maybe every SH doesn't have a manager like this but it makes my life easier. Their prices match or beat the big box stores in the area almost every time, sometimes by significant amounts.
Like I posted earlier, I can call the manager or the counter guys and gals any time during an emergency and they will open the store and get what I need, try that at HD!

BT Electric

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I'm not really a fan of Home Depot. I prefer Home Quarters, Home Base, Builders Square, Pergament, Hechingers, or Rickel instead.

·
Watt Pusher
2,502 Posts
That's 31 pesos, which is like $ .50

I spent two weeks in Cancun a few years ago, and when I went through customs, I traded in a 100 dollar bill. They gave me like 980 pesos.
The peso is trading at $0.06730 USD today, which is 14.8588 pesos to the dollar. So that plug is $2.09 USD

It doesn't help that the symbols for pesos and dollars are nearly identical, or sometimes identical (peso has one vertical hatch through the S, dollar has either one or two, depending on typeface).

·
Registered
659 Posts
The peso is trading at $0.06730 USD today, which is 14.8588 pesos to the dollar. So that plug is $2.09 USD

It doesn't help that the symbols for pesos and dollars are nearly identical, or sometimes identical (peso has one vertical hatch through the S, dollar has either one or two, depending on typeface).

Damn. I got robbed. I paid $2.98 for one at HD today :(

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #154

Here's a quote from the infamous Romex Racer, while posting under an alternate profile name of electrician1957-

My advice is conduct your business as if you were a fortune 500 company. Watch the bottom line, get everything in writing, don't work for free, never take anything personally and become obsessive about cutting costs and streamlining procedures.

Cutting costs is important. Let your competition be the one that pays more for materials, not you.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,241 Posts

Here's a quote from the infamous Romex Racer, while posting under an alternate profile name of electrician1957-

My advice is conduct your business as if you were a fortune 500 company. Watch the bottom line, get everything in writing, don't work for free, never take anything personally and become obsessive about cutting costs and streamlining procedures.

Cutting costs is important. Let your competition be the one that pays more for materials, not you.
He is saying "costs". That means manpower, insurance, taxes, tools, equipment, vehicles, licensing, fuel, etc. and, of course, materials. Going OCD over material costs is easy but you also need to look at the cost of acquiring those materials. If HD works for you then fill your boots. It doesn't work for me.

If you're a Fortune 500 company, your primary concern is profitability and return on money spent. In my little Fortune .000500 company, my profitability last year increased rather nicely by increasing my prices, downsizing to a more fuel efficient vehicle, standardizing on materials and organizing overstock in my little shop. Like I said before, saving a buck on a box of connectors is meaningless to me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Free sausage biscuits and coffee on Thursday mornings at our SH.

BT Electric

141 - 160 of 166 Posts