Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying I have never seen such a helpful supportive group of people on the web before.

My story is I'm an older guy at 30 just recently laid off (1 month ago). I have been back and forth from trades to the IT industry due to my boss (Wifey) wanting to relocate.

It seems we have settled here in Orangeville Ont. and I have always loved the hands on stuff with IT (projects like this happen once or twice a year) but can't stand the days that I am stuck on the phones or a desk for hours, days, weeks.

I like working with my hands so I do some trades when I can't find work in IT in the area or get cubical fever (construction jobs that I have done are painting, fencing, landscaping and Barn maintenance, anything that does not really require to be licensed or apprenticeship).

I have now grown fed up with IT industry due to saturation and more demand for programming skills that employers are looking for, and I have learnt it on a basic level but is just down right boring to me. I have noticed electricians have the responsibility of wiring data cables and everything else in an office, home, etc. that needs electricity. Which makes sense to me (I am really not trying to sound like a smart donkey, so if I am wrong please correct me). I have been in construction before so I have no problem with being a gopher or doing the jobs no one else wants to do. I also have no problem being a student to someone younger then me. I have always had a fascination with electricity and respect for the people who work with it.

So therefore I am at full throttle to sending out resume's to EC's in my area working through A to Z from the yellow pages in hopes for a response as a helper and/or 1st apprentice!!

I am wondering if you were to look at a resume would you want to see IT skills or should I just be putting focus on my trade skills? rather confusing for me to see what a journey man would want to see. Also since I am on EI I was wondering if pre-apprenticeship courses are worth it? Any other tips would be awesome since I herd Ontario is rough with apprenticeships without friends or family in the trade.

Thanks to everyone in advanced!

P.S. My cat just threw up when I was typing out the 5th paragraph so I may sound extra sour talking about the IT industry.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying I have never seen such a helpful supportive group of people on the web before.

My story is I'm an older guy at 30 just recently laid off (1 month ago). I have been back and forth from trades to the IT industry due to my boss (Wifey) wanting to relocate.

It seems we have settled here in Orangeville Ont. and I have always loved the hands on stuff with IT (projects like this happen once or twice a year) but can't stand the days that I am stuck on the phones or a desk for hours, days, weeks.

I like working with my hands so I do some trades when I can't find work in IT in the area or get cubical fever (construction jobs that I have done are painting, fencing, landscaping and Barn maintenance, anything that does not really require to be licensed or apprenticeship).

I have now grown fed up with IT industry due to saturation and more demand for programming skills that employers are looking for, and I have learnt it on a basic level but is just down right boring to me. I have noticed electricians have the responsibility of wiring data cables and everything else in an office, home, etc. that needs electricity. Which makes sense to me (I am really not trying to sound like a smart donkey, so if I am wrong please correct me). I have been in construction before so I have no problem with being a gopher or doing the jobs no one else wants to do. I also have no problem being a student to someone younger then me. I have always had a fascination with electricity and respect for the people who work with it.

So therefore I am at full throttle to sending out resume's to EC's in my area working through A to Z from the yellow pages in hopes for a response as a helper and/or 1st apprentice!!

I am wondering if you were to look at a resume would you want to see IT skills or should I just be putting focus on my trade skills? rather confusing for me to see what a journey man would want to see. Also since I am on EI I was wondering if pre-apprenticeship courses are worth it? Any other tips would be awesome since I herd Ontario is rough with apprenticeships without friends or family in the trade.

Thanks to everyone in advanced!

P.S. My cat just threw up when I was typing out the 5th paragraph so I may sound extra sour talking about the IT industry.
Welcome aboard,,I hope your cat will feel better...:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it. Would you say it would be okay to take on another job while waiting for the right opportunity? What I mean is that I noticed some get washed out being unemployed for so long, would you say its okay to take a carpentry or supply job while I am waiting for an opportunity as an apprenticeship to go through?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Definetly...because when and if you get accepted there is quite the wait..anywhere from 3-12 months depending on the work volume out of the union hall...in the meantime get whatever credits you need and go be a helper...there are temp agencies and good old
Kijij...look under construction trades under jobs..
Good luck....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Morning:

I am pro labour, so I suggest you just head to the closest IBEW office and tell them what you have told us. I suggest you ask to talk to an organizer! Not sure what local jurisdiction Orangville is in, but the local 353 office should know.

Starting an apprenticeship with the IBEW has many advantages. Much better pay, when you are first starting out that is important. You will definitely learn the trade properly, don't listen to the non union BS out there. In the union most safety related material is paid for by the employer, as it well should be. Non union usually ask the employee to pay for all safety related courses, including safety gear! :mad:

I started the trade non union, got organized and joined local 1687 ( Sudbury ), as an apprentice. I was an apprentice so I was directed by NOJAC ( Northern Ontario Joint Apprenticeship Committee ). In Southern Ontario it is likely a different committee, but you will definitely get help! :)

Good luck! I puke on my cat every now and then, keeps him in line!

Thanks, Borgi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am new on this forum as well.
I am fresh out of high school (just finished my last exam today), and I am applying to the JAC for local 353 tomorrow. I don't have much related experience, other than scanning building blueprints (including electrical) and filing them for an old building as a summer job, but i have well above average high school marks. Does anyone with experience in the GTA know what my chances are for this years intake? How many people do they usually take, out of how many applicants?

BTW, if I do not get in this year, I am still accepted into a college electrician program for next year. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't waste your time in Ontarrible. I moved to Calgary 3 years ago and will never go back to Ontario. High taxes and no jobs. If and when you move here, you will have an apprenticehship within a couple weeks. Or if you know someone here just use their address on your resume. The quality of life is a million times better here.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Don't waste your time in Ontarrible. I moved to Calgary 3 years ago and will never go back to Ontario. High taxes and no jobs. If and when you move here, you will have an apprenticehship within a couple weeks. Or if you know someone here just use their address on your resume. The quality of life is a million times better here.
Let me guess, non union? Your choice, just teasing! :no:

Alberta is not as rosy as you imply. But, I agree that Ontario is not the place to be if you don't want to follow the rules. Alberta will welcome you with open arms, and yes, you will have a hot tub on your deck in no time! :eek:

Money isn't everything! ;)

Thanks, Borgi

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Thanks for the advice madbubba, I will definitely consider it for the future, however i am still just a kid (literally not 18 yet) and and nowhere near ready for a relocation yet.
So what? A lot of guys move out here young. Think about it, you could be a journeyman by the time you're 23 or 24 if you started now. That's what I wish I did. Instead I waited until I was 25 and already started in the trade.

To the OP, electrical is an enjoyable trade however if you plan to stay where you are, I hope you like near-poverty. You're not going to make much money working electrical in Ontario, sorry to lay it on you so bluntly. People there seem to think paying a journeyman $29 an hour is a "lot of money". I suggest you consider something else.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.