Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working off the books for a contractor since 2009. He won't sign off on me to take my test. I probably knew I shouldn't be working for this guy but I needed the money and the job. Is there anything I can do or am I going to have to find another contractor to work for for five years in order to take the test? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think he's afraid hell get in trouble I guess he's never had anyone on the books it's like we don't exist I'm willing to bet he doesn't have insurance for us either and we do big jobs I don't know how he gets away with it. Also I think it's cuz he doesn't want me getting my license he doesn't want me going anywhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The board has always used w-2's when the employer can't be reached (ie he's dead), but if you give him the paperwork and he doesn't sign and return it in a timely manner, call the board. They'll call him and threaten a board review. He does want to go down that road. That said, all he has to do is sign it and seal it, I'd be surprised if they do more than check to see it's been done. The onus is on you to study and pass the exam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,505 Posts
krisinjersey said:
The board has always used w-2's when the employer can't be reached (ie he's dead), but if you give him the paperwork and he doesn't sign and return it in a timely manner, call the board. They'll call him and threaten a board review. He does want to go down that road. That said, all he has to do is sign it and seal it, I'd be surprised if they do more than check to see it's been done. The onus is on you to study and pass the exam. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They will NOT accept w-2's it must be sealed by the license holder he worked for

·
Registered
11,078 Posts
The possibility exists that your boss doesn't have a license either.

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts
I have been working off the books for a contractor since 2009.
So have you paid taxes on your income since 2009?

No.

So what entitles you to go for a license when you are not even responsible enough to pay taxes? You might as well be an illegal alien, taking work away from real contractors.

Sure, go try to get a license, watch the IRS come down on you and your bag of crap boss and put you both in jail.

Or better yet, call the IRS yourself, there is a bounty on tax evaders - 10% I believe - plus immunity.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I applied back in 2012, My boss was transitioning from NJ to PA, so he had gotten a different EIN Number, new company name, and also turned in his seal. I sent all the original documents in, and the state sent me back a letter requesting my boss writes a letter on company letter head describing my work for the past 5 years, so I wrote the letter, and had my boss sign it. I sent it in, and the state came back again asking for all my W-2's, Found all of them and then I was approved to test. I was thinking maybe it had to do with age? Like if your younger they thing people are lying?

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Yeah I think he's afraid hell get in trouble I guess he's never had anyone on the books it's like we don't exist I'm willing to bet he doesn't have insurance for us either and we do big jobs I don't know how he gets away with it. Also I think it's cuz he doesn't want me getting my license he doesn't want me going anywhere.
Whats the company name?

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I have been working off the books for a contractor since 2009. He won't sign off on me to take my test. I probably knew I shouldn't be working for this guy but I needed the money and the job. Is there anything I can do or am I going to have to find another contractor to work for for five years in order to take the test? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com
You could go to school to complete the electrical technology courses. While you're doing that find work with a licensed electrical contractor and get your ship in order. Working off the books like that for so long did nothing good for you and I guarantee you are lacking the knowledge as an electrician to sit in for the exam. I'm not trying to put you down I'm just speaking from experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.