Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mostly a residential electrician. I am finding more and more lately customers are not payiong at the end of a job. On large jobs say over a $1000.00 everything is spelled out in a contract...but I just had a simple $700.00 job where the customer had me come in and do some work , was at home when we were done but told my guy he would send a check next week. I know this customer and I know I will get paid but thats not the point. What are some of your payment policies and how do you get paid at the end of a job.. do you come right out at every job telling the customer payment is expected at the completion of the job...

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I am mostly a residential electrician. I am finding more and more lately customers are not payiong at the end of a job. On large jobs say over a $1000.00 everything is spelled out in a contract...but I just had a simple $700.00 job where the customer had me come in and do some work , was at home when we were done but told my guy he would send a check next week. I know this customer and I know I will get paid but thats not the point. What are some of your payment policies and how do you get paid at the end of a job.. do you come right out at every job telling the customer payment is expected at the completion of the job...
As part of my short spiel that I give while they are signing the estimate, I mention that payment is due upon completion of the work, just like it says under the "Terms" part of the contract they are signing.

You need to be more assertive. If you are standing there staring them down and repeat back that payment is due upon completion, they are less likely to try and get over on you. If they give you an excuse, this is where you bring up the part about you accepting credit cards as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cash, Check, or Credit Card

My guys are told the same..hand a invoice and ask how would you like to pay..but what if the customer says I will send you a check?? How far to you push before things get heated??

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
My guys are told the same..hand a invoice and ask how would you like to pay..but what if the customer says I will send you a check?? How far to you push before things get heated??
things shouldn't get heated

just simply state that payment is due when work is complete

do they go to the grocery store for a gallon of milk and say they will mail a check?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I would say "We don't bill, we take payment upon completion (while pointing to the iPad showing them the terms that they agreed to). If you'd like, we can accept a credit card".

What would a restaurant do if you said you would mail them a check? Walmart?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
You cannot force a home owner to pay at the end of the job and in Florida the home owner can shoot you. We require 50% before we start so we at least have something. We deal a lot in cc so we simply ask if they would like us to bill their cc we have on file. We have had a client want to send the check and our tech gave him an address to send it along with an invoice. He is then flagged in our system so we know he does this and how long it took to get paid.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Jumbo23 said:
I don't really know what the laws are there , but here unless it's on a customer signed contract with the terms if payment , it's 30 days to pay for any service.
I never had to quote little work on paper before , now everything but service is on paper if you don't want to wait!!

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
A lot of things you guys say is strange to me. This being one of them. Terms are 30 days upon receipt. Anything else wouldn't be tolerated in this part of the world.
A big part of being a contractor here is carrying debt until the banks release funds for the project. Some older people like to clear up the invoice on the spot, but not many.
People who require cash on the spot are what you guys like to call "craigslisters"

Oil and gas companies do not pay for at LEAST 3 months.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
farlsincharge said:
A lot of things you guys say is strange to me. This being one of them. Terms are 30 days upon receipt. Anything else wouldn't be tolerated in this part of the world. A big part of being a contractor here is carrying debt until the banks release funds for the project. Some older people like to clear up the invoice on the spot, but not many. People who require cash on the spot are what you guys like to call "craigslisters" Oil and gas companies do not pay for at LEAST 3 months.[/QUOTE

I give to week term on invoice , not that it would stand up in court, but it helps !

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
A lot of things you guys say is strange to me. This being one of them. Terms are 30 days upon receipt. Anything else wouldn't be tolerated in this part of the world.
A big part of being a contractor here is carrying debt until the banks release funds for the project.
Most of the people in this thread aren't talking about larger jobs or jobs that require loans.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yep smaller jobs totally COD payment at the end. I do have some clients I bill but they are existing. Larger jobs I break into payments. These are established in the quote or before the work starts.

Reactions: Jumbo23

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
rewire said:
ask your wife
Yes she said you are still a creepy fyck and has no idea what your demented ass meant by that either

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sparky J said:
Yep smaller jobs totally COD payment at the end. I do have some clients I bill but they are existing. Larger jobs I break into payments. These are established in the quote or before the work starts.
I wish it worked like that here , everyone just assumes 30 days. Sucks!!!!

·
Estwing magic
26,749 Posts
We only give credit to clients who represent repeat business. Everyone else pays on completion. All our GC accounts pay within two weeks. We have one client who takes 60 days to pay and we're cutting him loose. He's an EC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts