Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I live in Arizona, and want to begin a career as an electrician. I am currently a paramedic and after years of being pretty handy around the house and station, I've decided to pursue another career. I am incredibly interested in an apprenticeship with a local IBEW. I notice that when I come across any apprentice positions, it always lists experience in the field as a requirement. I thought that is what an apprenticeship was for....

My questions are, in order to get into an apprentice program do I need experience with a local electricians company? What is the best way to get in with the IBEW and get into their apprentice programs? Any opinions on the apprentice programs typically offered through community colleges?

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Currently I live in Arizona, and want to begin a career as an electrician. I am currently a paramedic and after years of being pretty handy around the house and station, I've decided to pursue another career. I am incredibly interested in an apprenticeship with a local IBEW. I notice that when I come across any apprentice positions, it always lists experience in the field as a requirement. I thought that is what an apprenticeship was for....

My questions are, in order to get into an apprentice program do I need experience with a local electricians company? What is the best way to get in with the IBEW and get into their apprentice programs? Any opinions on the apprentice programs typically offered through community colleges?
Many company's want experience in the field, but most are not IBEW, if they need guys they will take you in green, but while you are trying to get in the IBEW you should try to get in with anyone who will hire you so you can get some experience in the field.

Good luck, and Welcome to the forum..:thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts