Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone on ET,

I found this site a few weeks ago while researching electrical careers. As my screen name suggests I'm a "year zero" apprentice so to speak, right now working on getting my foot in the door with an EC and starting night classes for the book-work side of things. I've already found a lot of great info on here, thanks in advance for any help you pros can give a new guy starting out.

-Y_Z

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Hello to everyone on ET,

I found this site a few weeks ago while researching electrical careers. As my screen name suggests I'm a "year zero" apprentice so to speak, right now working on getting my foot in the door with an EC and starting night classes for the book-work side of things. I've already found a lot of great info on here, thanks in advance for any help you pros can give a new guy starting out.

-Y_Z
Good luck with your career. It's a good trade. It's a challenge to stay on top of all the technology so get all the training you can. Humility will get you a lot more info than acting like some of the newbies that seem to think they know it all. JMHO.:thumbup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hello to everyone on ET,

-Y_Z
Welcome to the electrical trade:thumbup:

You've already taken a big step asking questions ,and by reading here and asking code questions you will learn fast.

Welcome to the forum..:thumbup:

·
808 Posts
Practice Tests
http://www.electrician2.com/vdrv11practice/rvframehol.htm

Get the NEC 2A, 2B, and 2C study guides from IAEI and NEC Flash Cards from NFPA.

Also, NECA has many publications that help especially their one covering Qualified Persons and installations . UL has a "White Book" that backs up 110.3(B) in the NEC.

UL also offers a free 2 hour AFCI seminar online.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello yz.

When you get in with an EC just work hard. And my favorite thing was annoying the mechanics with questions about everything we worked on. How? And why? Are two good words for a beginner.

Also, NEVER trust ANYONE when they say its not hot. Test it for yourself. When I was new I got zapped 3 times in a row off the same circuit from a more expierenced guy that claimed the circuit was off. Turns out he was just hitting random breakers without any clue which one turned it off.

More expierence doesn't always equate to more common sense or saftey precautions. Usually its less as people become more comfortable with it.

Good luck in the career!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts