Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember a thread about this...

If I plug a GFCI protected whip into a GFCI protected ( breaker ) circuit the whip will trip first or "they will cancel each other out" or depends on response time of the two devices.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Uhhhmmmm that's not exactly "parallel".
It's more like a "series" circuit.

I would say it depends on trip curve of the devices

Reactions: jza

·
Registered
196 Posts
I seem to remember a thread about this...

If I plug a GFCI protected whip into a GFCI protected ( breaker ) circuit the whip will trip first or "they will cancel each other out" or depends on response time of the two devices.
Not true. If there's an imbalance in the in amperage BOTH will know. Which one will know first? Depends are they right next to each other 2' away, or is it at the end of a 100' extension cord that's plugged into a gfi outlet? Are they both same manufacturer, same year.... your talkin crazy bro.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah no kidding. I understand that but I lack the communication skills to not tell my boss he is a Monglotard . I am hoping for a more technical explanation for him.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I agree with Rollie , not really parallel.
I'm not sure what your asking here.
But it's been my experience , you don't feed a gfi with a gfi . One or the other trips as soon as you plug anything into it.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can plug a portable GFCI into a GFCI outlet/circuit. They don't bang off each other.

I am asking someone word in a manner what I believe to be true. The statement I wrote above.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,258 Posts
Since all GFIs operate on the basic principal of differential current, it would make no difference whatsoever if two or more were connected in series. Each one would see the same difference in current, and the one that has the fastest response time or the lowest trip setting (or both) would trip first, assuming the ground fault occurred at the end of the circuit.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe I need to establish this first.

If you plug this

In to the yellow thing that is plugged into the GFCI outlet and you pull the trigger on the red thing the yellow and the white things won't both trip at the same time. Provided the drill motor does NOT have a fault to ground.

If the drill motor has a fault to ground the faster of the two GFCI's is going to trip first.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am in a hotel room. I don't even own a gfci tester thingy anymore. I was hoping for some fancy worded answer to repeat like it was my words.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I agree with Rollie , not really parallel.
I'm not sure what your asking here.
But it's been my experience , you don't feed a gfi with a gfi . One or the other trips as soon as you plug anything into it.
that is a myth one gfi feeding downstream to another gfi will have no affect on either.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think you are crazy. I'm not sure you should work with electricity. NOTHING should trip if there is NO FAULT. No fault=good. Those GFCI=Good. The more GFI, the merrier. Which one trips first no one knows, hopefully they won't because it could hurt you.

God bless

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think you are crazy. I'm not sure you should work with electricity. NOTHING should trip if there is NO FAULT. No fault=good. Those GFCI=Good. The more GFI, the merrier. Which one trips first no one knows, hopefully they won't because it could hurt you.

God bless
If you only knew the things that could hurt you. Lol.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.