Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time I have found a GFCI recepticle that tests as expected, both using the internal test and an external tester, and that supplies power to its own outlets but does not supply power to the load terminals. So the protected outlets connected down stream of the GFCI receive no power. When this happened the first time a year or so ago, I thought this was either a unique failure in the particular GFCI device or something I missed in testing. Power restored, homeowner happy, so did not investigate further. Now I find another, and this time tested more carefully. The local outlets are both powered but the load side is dead. Have I just been unlucky twice, or is there something inside the GFCI that separates the load line from the local loads and that can fail separately from the rest of the device? Anyone else see this problem? I don't do much of this kind of work so wonder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This one was in an addition to a 1960's house. Noticed the inspector's sticker on the sub-panel for the addition was dated 1993, so the GFCIs may be 30 years old. There are several GFCIs on the circuit (daisy chained) and the ones I saw appeared similar, so I am guessing none have been replaced recently. This did appear to be the only outlet in use on the circuit - powering a refridgerator. I don't remember any details about the other time I saw this problem.

·
Can't Remember
11,057 Posts
Meh, just change it. Hang out long enough and you'll see all kinds of strange things you don't normally expect. I've seen brand new TR/WR GFCI receptacles smoke and I mean crispy in a month after install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Yes, did change it. Just seemed a tricky mode of failure. Pointed to a wiring issue until I put a meter on the load screws. Wondered if anyone knows what is inside separating the load terminals from the local outlets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts